What's new

Few Questions about Flexy Rack (1 Viewer)

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
After a couple weeks of reading about the flexy rack, I've gathered materials and finished drilling and cutting the all thread. I was wondering before I put together the rack if there is any advice anyone can give. Couple of things I couldn't find at the local hardware store included acorn nuts but I was just going to substitute with a regular nut. I found neoprene washers but at 59 cents a piece, that would come out to be like 25 bux for the whole rack. Any substitutes I could use instead of neoprene? Is it necessary for neoprene washers?

Also the materials I am using is 3/4" birch plywood, 5/8" all thread, and of course nuts and washers. The main thing it'll be supporting is a 160 lb 30" Sony widescreen. So are neoprene washers necessary?

And also, any advice on painting the all thread, I finished painting that and the nuts using primer black Rustoleum spray. Should I add a clear coat or something to keep from striping the paint when I tighten everything?

Mitch N

Stunt Coordinator
You do not have to use neoprene, it's there to isolate vibrations from the components.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I agree, you don't need to use neoprene, regular steel washers will work fine. As for painting the all-thread, I may be wrong, but won't the paint come off as you are moving the nuts into place against the shelves? If so, there are several options. You could paint them by hand after assembly (seems like it would be a pain to do, but very cheap). You could get some ABS pipe and cut it to the height between shelves, paint that and insert it over the all-thread. This looks great, I know people have done it before. You could get some split-loom tubing, black being the most commonly available color, and 3/4" would be a pretty good fit over th 5/8" all thread. It's cheap, easy to cut. A great look would be to cover the all-thread with heat shrink tubing, but that could be quite expensive with the large diameter and length needed. Well those are just a few thoughts to get you started. :)

Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I think the heat shrink would look great, but the obvious downside is that you will not be able to get the nuts off later unless you cut off the heat shrink. Depending on how tight the fit is, that may be easier said than done. :)

Aaron Gilbert

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Well I should have read the replies to the post before assembling the rack but I used rubber gaskets for hoses instead of neoprene. I think that works okay. Is the rack supposed to sway when you push on it? I was wondering if thats the case then should I just nail a cardboard to a portion of the back thats under the tv or what?

Thats the preliminary build. I need to fix the nuts next the tv a smidge cuz the tv is tilted a very little bit. Its not bad at all. I just haven't finished because I need to paint another set of washers and nuts. Pretty good for a first DIY in hometheater?

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
Well, thats the "second reason" for it being called a Flexy, it does have some sway.

The tighter the nuts are onto the wood the less the sway, but you're never really going to get rid of it completely.

You could probably come up with ways of eliminating the sway, but they might not looks so good. For example, like scaffolding (outside of buildings) you could put diagonal members from one vertical to the next. That would reduce or eliminate sway.

Daffy Arthur King
with the brain of a duck

Kevin Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
When I first built my flexy it would sway a lot but i tightened all the nuts quite a bit now there is vertually no sway.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Tuan,

That looks great for a first attempt at DIY. For the sway, the others are correct, you need to tighten the nuts as much as possible. You could add a board on the back, as you suggest, which would help a lot. With the shelves so empty (you are going to fill them with equipment, later??), it might even improve the appearance. I think a piece of 1/4" hardboard or pegboard, painted black, attached to the back of the lower section (you only would need a few screws) would look nice, and would also hide your wiring. Although, it would somewhat change the clean lines and symmetry of the rack.

Aaron Gilbert

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
I think I figured out that the O-rings for hoses is making it sway because they're thinner than the washers and the washers arent able to touch the whole surface of the board. Once I can move the TV, I'll remove all the O-rings and then see if it still sways. If it does, I'll get the 1/4" mdf or cardboard and nail it to the back. I'll post more questions if I have anymore. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Feel free to make more.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
yeah, i think its the washers thats your problem, also if you are taking it apart, think about adding a 4th bottom shelf, it will fill it out and add to rigidity. Also torque those nuts down as much as you physically can, with my shelf, i can sit on it and try and twist it all i want and she's not moving an inch.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Well I can't add a fourth shelf because the design isn't there for it. But I did just finish everything. I'm gonna get veneer to finish the edges to make it all look better but with the flexy, it looks much better than my previous setup...this was my previous...

This is how it looks now...

The TV sits about 8 inches lower...way more shelf space...and the main thing I wanted this rack for was the center channel above the tv so it serves its purpose...

However...when I did this temporary setup my friend stated that I should have made both sides symmetrical so I could keep the speaker there...since I do live in apartment and permanent placement for the speaker would be safer and save space...so now I'm thinking about redoing parts of the rack...who knows...but I'm satisfied for now...just have to finish speaker stands now...let me know your opinions?

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Its great, the O-rings kept the washers from keeping the rods straight so thats why it was swaying. Once I finished the rack and put it back up, and hand tightened everything, it doesn't sway anymore. Very rigid like regular furniture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks