What's new

Flat Speaker Cable (1 Viewer)

VinceL

Auditioning
Hi, I'm setting up a new HT, and the center spk is going on top of the fireplace, the TV is mounted above it, on the wall. I have run 5.1 cabling into the walls, and where the center speaker connection comes out is behind the tv. Since the speaker will be under the tv, that will mean that spk cable will be needed to drop down below the tv to the spk, thus making the wire visible and defeating the purpose of mounting the tv on the wall in the first place! I have heard that there is 'flat' speaker wire available, and that they are easily hidden under paint! Does anyone have experience with this type of cable, and provide me with some info like different brands, reliability, downsides, etc? Thanks!

Vince

kurtZoom

Stunt Coordinator
check out
http://www.decorp.com/dewire.htm

I do not have personal experience with this....just ran across it at some point and it seemed interesting. I'm sure there are other alternatives but this might fit your bill. On the website anyway the shortest length they show is 25'...since you need significantly less you might call them to discuss or keep looking for those alternatives.

Can you run the wire through the wall? create a hole in the drywall behind the TV and install a "old construction" box (basically a 1-gang outlet box that has "ears" to allow it to be mounted to the drywall) make a small hole behind the speaker and fish the wire up to the box. Making holes in the drywall is less scarier then it sounds. Holes can be patched if/when you need to move.

good luck

LarryR

Agent

I did something similar for one of my rear surround speakers. I bought mounts for both the surround speakers, but one of them needed to have the wires hidden. Someone suggested trenching the wires. I did something better and less expensive. I opened up a small hole in the wall. Luckily I had a storage closet and opened a fairly large hole in the drywall. I fished the speaker cable through and patched both holes. The larger one just needed drywall mudding. I used the mud for the small hole in the outer wall also, sanded and painted. You cannot tell and the only wires showing is where they come out to connect to the surround speaker. You have to be at the side and behind to even see this short wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks