1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Setting up first Home Theater system with older Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Hornplayer, May 7, 2019.

1. Message #1 of 3 May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Hornplayer

Hornplayer Auditioning

Steve
    Hi all. I'm a newbie here, trying to set up a Home Theater system with an older Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver I've had sitting around for years. I've had it playing through a pair of Bose 901 speakers recently, and they sound great. But recently got some Klipsch R14M speaker to attach to the other inputs:

* Front center (Klipsch R14M)
    * Front Left&Right (Bose 901s)
    * Left&Right Surround (Klipsch R14Ms)
    * Single Back Surround (Klipsch R14M)
    * Subwoofer (SVS SB2000)

The Boses still sound good, but so far I haven't gotten a sound out of any of the Klipschs yet, don't understand why. The SVS SB-2000 powered subwoofer is coming in next week, receiver has a separate subwoofer output, we'll see about that.

It's not a super-system, but it fits in the budget I have.

I'm curious: How does the receiver come up with all these separate channels? The input is a simple stereo cable from the Sony Bravia 55" LCD flat screen TV, while the TV gets its input from a DIrecTV Genie box. The DirecTV box has an HDMI output to the TV. But the Panasonic receiver has no HDMI inputs or outputs. ALL the audio inputs to the receiver have the same simple 2 channels, right and left. How does it manage to produce six different channels into the speakers?

I've noticed that other, more modern receivers like the Yamaha RX-V385, have several HDMI inputs, where my receiver has none.

Does an HDMI output from the cable box, or from a Blu-ray DVD player, carry all six of these audio channels, when playing a movie that has them? If so, how do you know which movies have them?

Thanx all!

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Your receiver had Dolby digital and DTS, so it has to have digital audio inputs. It sounds like this will be a real learning process, so bear with it. Does your cable box have any digital audio outputs? There are two types. One is identical to a single analog audio connection, and the other (optical) is a multi-faceted plastic connection. You will need to configure the receiver to get all the audio channels working, so you'll need to connect a video cable from it to the TV, so you can see the onscreen menus, assuming the receiver has them. You'll also need to calibrate all the channel levels for good surround sound. It's a multi-step process getting it set up.

BTW, I need to add that Klipsch and Bose is a less than ideal (as in, really undesirable) mix of speakers for a surround system. They are radically different sounding speakers, and you probably will never get a genuinely proper sounding system while mixing those two types of speakers.

3. Hornplayer

Hornplayer Auditioning

Steve
    Thank you John, this is the kind of advice I was hoping to find.

So far I've gotten all seven speakers to talk, by tuning in an FM station that plays new music. The Surround speakers (front, sides, back) do indeed produce voices that differ slightly from each other, and the effect is great.

Everything described in the User Manual for the SA-HE100 is done with buttons on the front panel, except setting the relative amplitude of each speaker, which is done with the remote. The User Manual never mentions any on-screen menus or displays, I haven't looked for any on-screen menus yet, might still try to find some.

The TV has an optical output, and the receiver has several optical inputs. I've got the TV optical output connected to one of the receiver optical inputs, and have fiddled with the various optical input commands described in the User Manual, but haven't gotten a peep out of ANY speakers by doing so. I'll keep trying.

One question: When a receiver has one or more HDMI inputs and the TV (and cable box) have HDMI outputs, is that the usual way to get all six channels from the TV to the receiver?

My receiver has no HDMIs, as I mentioned. Seems strange to build a receiver that produces all six channels clearly and distinctly when running the internal tuner, but not to put any inputs on the receiver to receive those six channels from an external device like a cable box or TV.