What's new

Flared port question(s) (1 Viewer)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, i am building a ported shiva for my car. I was shooting for one of the adire alignments of 2ft^3, 25hz with a 3" flared port.

After building my box, subtracting braces and driver, I ended up at 2.23ft^3. What size port do I need to maintain the 25hz tuning? Also, do i use the flare on just one side or both? Winisd says 11.42 inches but I don't know if it accounts for the volume the port takes up and the flare(s) on the ends?

.. sorry for the long post. :b

Craig

Phil~E~Guy

Grip
Subtract the port volume if it is within the enclosure.

It extending the port outside the enclosure, do not subtract the port volume for areas extending from encloser.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yes, once you figure out roughly how much volume the 11.4" long port takes up (treat it like a solid piece inside the box), subtract that from the total net box volume for the new net box volume. And then plug that value into the WinISD (or whatever program you're using), to get the length needed to tune the box to 25Hz. If it's near 10"-11", just leave things as is. If it needs to be cut down a little bit, then do so, but don't get too anal about finding the impact of a little extra volume with a slightly shorter port.

Also, whatever length you need, add 1 inch to the end-to-end length of the flared port (with both flared ends installed). If you need 11", then cut the center tube to the length that makes the total end-to-end length of the flared port 12".

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
thanks guys, that makes sense.. i almost got the port thing down, its the flared thing that confused me..

Craig

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Craig,

Sorry I didn't respond to your email earlier. I've been at a customer's house for a few hours and just got back. Let me know if you still need some clarification.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Sorry I didn't respond fo your email earlier. I've been in the lab for a few hours and just got back to the office. Let me know if you still need some clarification.

;)

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
hehe, my DIY expert friends! I can always count on Pat, Brian, Tony, DustinB and Jack.. thanks again, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks