What's new

Fixing a screen door.. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Home Improvement thread#2 for me today!

Fixing a screen door, has 2 hydraulic jack things on the top and bottom, the door is basically holds a screen or glass that currently is a screen (summer here).

It has two of those hydralic jacks, one on top and one on the bottom. The problem is that the door when opened and released, shuts very fast (especially with the screen) and then about a foot from closing, it finally slows down. I've tried adjusting both jacks (tighten the screw is supposed to slow the closure), however, it seems the screws have no effect other than to slow the closure rate AFTER the door closes to about a foot from the closed position. So in other words, the adjusting screw is not working for me. Is there any other option and if I bought a new $10 hydraulic jack, would that fix the problem. I looked at one of them today and it appears that the screw is the way to adjust the closure rate, but it doesn't seem to say whether the closure point is adjustable.

Any hints, suggestions? I know there are two points where you can adjust the jack (remove the pin, move the shaft, replace the pin kind of deal) but I don't know if that would help.... It keeps jabbing me in the back of the legs when I let go, I'd wish it would slow down and give me ample time to scramble into the door, especially if I'm carrying things like groceries...

jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Nope, not expensive at all, about $10 at Lowes, I'm just seeing if there is some kind of fix before I replace the thing. The website you linked to mentions bringing the old jack to the store just so if you can replace it with one of the same length, it's an easy fix. The mounting brackets on the door look like they're in fine shape, and I might just be able to replace the air shock itself, rather than the whole assembly.

Jay

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I hate that...so much that I removed the piston and haven't replaced it to this day. I guess your story will prompt me to look at replacements...maybe...;)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
ARRRGGGHHHHH, I think I made it worse.. In fact, I got hit in the ankle last night after I replaced it and tweaked it.

The door, now closes a lot faster because the new shock is now stronger!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: It still closes like a rocket and then stops about a foot from closure and then it slows down :angry: :angry: POINTLESS!!! I removed both shocks, installed the new one and tested it. I also tried it without any of the shocks and you know what.. I think I like it that way. Bonus is that I can open the door completely all the way, rather than 1/2 way with the shock. I might just return the new shock and simply put a chain on it to keep the door from flying away and then do without it... PITA!!!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks