Fivechannel RCA inputs

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike8R, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Mike8R

Mike8R Auditioning

I am new to the forum, but not really new to the hobby.
    So here is the story...
    I am a recent college grad unemployed and living at home [​IMG] I am bored and so I decided that my parents should finally use their reciever and speakers for their intended purposes. I finally got them to buy a DVD player the other day, but here is the dilemma. The reciever (Sony STR-DE525) is so old that it doesnt actually do the decoding, it is "surround ready" it has the RCA 5.1 inputs, that is, on the back of the reciever are rca inputs for front left and right, rear left and right, center and sub, and no digital. Of course the DVD player only has digital, and regular old red white and yeller. So whats the solution? Do even sell the converters any more? I know they used to. I am sure I am not going to get them to drop any money on another reciever, and there is no way I am lending them mine.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is no "coverter" that can fix this. You cannot get digital audio from stereo analog, and an outboard decoder will cost as much as a new receiver, except possibly used.

Your only choice is to upgrade the receiver or exchange the DVD for one that has multi-channel analog outs, which should not cost much more than the one they just bought.

3. Scott McVicker

I am using a surround ready receiver much like your parents. At one point my DVD player broke and I need to have one while this one was getting fixed. After a little search and calling, I was able to find a DVD that had the digital decoder built in (it accepted all the RCA jack inputs from my receiver) This was about 8months ago.

Best of Luck

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Indeed, mike they need to grab a DVD player with Built-in decoders. This will come with 5.1 analog outs, and then you run those to your receivers and you're good to go.