What's new
Real Name
Tim
Timothy Bodzioney submitted a new blog post

Fists in the Pocket - Blu Ray Review
images.jpeg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
"Original soundtrack negative" is Criterion's way of saying the optical track on the O-neg

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Nice review, Timothy. Of course, when I was 19, I loved this film and completely identified with Allesandro. I also found it a lot funnier than you do. I took the events detailed in the film as satirical and rhetorical,rather than realistic. I don't know how I'd feel about it now,
and your review had convinced me that, at least in terms of this film, "you can't go home again."

I liked the quote from your anonymous NYU professor. Sounds to me like Haig, who was my professor as well, though when I was there, he mostly told stories about Scorsese. Nonetheless, he was a remarkable human being, and I consider myself lucky to have been exposed to his indelible enthusiasm.

Real Name
Tim
Mark, I certainly may have misread the tone - it sometimes happens to the best of us.

It wasn't Haig; I missed him by a few years. But it was one of his disciples. Outside of Production, I was lucky enough to have taken a few Cinema Studies classes with William K. Everson. He was also a nice man. I was an undergraduate and his classes were graduate level. I had to get his approval and he always allowed me into the classes.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Mark, I certainly may have misread the tone - it sometimes happens to the best of us.

It wasn't Haig; I missed him by a few years. But it was one of his disciples. Outside of Production, I was lucky enough to have taken a few Cinema Studies classes with William K. Everson. He was also a nice man. I was an undergraduate and his classes were graduate level. I had to get his approval and he always allowed me into the classes.
Bill Everson was an extraordinarily sweet man. It's too bad you never met Haig. He was enthusiasm personified. I started at NYU in the early 1970's, but then took a leave of absence. Three times I applied for readmission, but the office mislaid my application and I finally gave up. Then one day I was walking through Washington Square Park in early September and ran into Haig. Where have you been?" he asked. I explained my situation, and he took me into the department (which was then in the South Building on West 4th) set up my schedule and said, "Ok, you're in." That certainly wouldn't happen today! It's an experience I'll always treasure, though I ended up getting into the exhibition side of the business instead of production.

Real Name
Tim
Bill Everson was an extraordinarily sweet man. It's too bad you never met Haig. He was enthusiasm personified. I started at NYU in the early 1970's, but then took a leave of absence. Three times I applied for readmission, but the office mislaid my application and I finally gave up. Then one day I was walking through Washington Square Park in early September and ran into Haig. Where have you been?" he asked. I explained my situation, and he took me into the department (which was then in the South Building on West 4th) set up my schedule and said, "Ok, you're in." That certainly wouldn't happen today! It's an experience I'll always treasure, though I ended up getting into the exhibition side of the business instead of production.

That's a great NYU story. I was there in the 90s (I went to college late) and that would never have happened even then.
Everson was a very generous man as well. At the end of each semester, he would invite students over to his apartment to screen movies he didn't have time to squeeze into the class he just finished. He would start in the early afternoon and go until the last student left. I alwasy felt like I was imposing and would leave after the third movie. I can't imagine how late those screenings went.

For one of his classes, I wrote a paper on Roy Ward Baker. When we were discussing the final paper he asked me why I hadn't included the movie Inferno in the paper. I said I would have liked to but I didn't have access to a copy. He said, "I own a 16mm print; you should have asked."

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
That's a great NYU story. I was there in the 90s (I went to college late) and that would never have happened even then.
Everson was a very generous man as well. At the end of each semester, he would invite students over to his apartment to screen movies he didn't have time to squeeze into the class he just finished. He would start in the early afternoon and go until the last student left. I alwasy felt like I was imposing and would leave after the third movie. I can't imagine how late those screenings went.

For one of his classes, I wrote a paper on Roy Ward Baker. When we were discussing the final paper he asked me why I hadn't included the movie Inferno in the paper. I said I would have liked to but I didn't have access to a copy. He said, "I own a 16mm print; you should have asked."
Yes. Bill was very generous about lending prints. The inside of his apartment was like a magical land; a huge pre-war two bedroom apartment with a pantry (which was larger than my one bedroom) and a maid's room and a bay window with, if I remember correctly, a balcony that looked out on the street, and the first thing you noticed when you walked in was a 16mm projector on top of a few phone books, a screen that mostly covered the bay window with a few sheets to block out the light, and stacks of 16mm prints from floor to ceiling wherever one looked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks