What's new

first time HDTV buyer...seeking advice between 42 inch pany 1080 v 46 inch pany 720 (1 Viewer)

wiggin

Auditioning
Real Name
andrew
I first want to say my HDTV knowledge is above average, but I havent been following too closely lately.

I am buying my first flat screen HDTV. I am comparing two TVs at my local best buy (yes I'm buying it there!)

Price is a very big concern. Financing may be available and I might go that route if necessary.

The two contenders are:

42 inch panasonic plasma 1080p: TC-P42U2. Price: 719.99

V

46 inch panasonic plasma 720p: TC-P46C2. Price: 599.99

I've decided on a plasma because my living room has few windows and glare will not be a major concern. I am looking at the panasonics for their price point and good quality, even if they lack some of the bells and whistles.

I will mostly be viewing television, but HD and non HD. Secondary will be DVDs and PS3 games and third, possible Blu-ray and computer monitor connection.

I will also be sitting about 8-10 feet away from the TV set.

I definitiely like the price point of the 46 inch, plus im getting a bigger screen. My concern is not getting 1080p. i dont want to feel like I am buying "old technology" or have an insufficient TV several years down the road.

Any input anyone can provide is appreciated, what should I get or consider that I already havent thought about?

Thanks

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Andrew. Welcome to the forum.

If price is a big concern and you won't be playing BR until later (either on your PS3 or when you have acquired a BD-player), you may want to consider the less expensive, but bigger 46" set. Given your viewing distance, the image will still blow you away as compared to current TV.

HD channel TV is mostly (and effectively) 720p, so in practice the 720 TV set will not degrade your image quality.

However.... if for any foreseeable reason you will be watching Blu-ray in the near future after all, the 1080p is of course a more complete solution, because 1920x1080 is the resolution of Blu-ray. But then you would also need to sit a bit closer to your screen to experience the full advantage.

(Although it must also be said that the 720p version of a Blu-ray image isn't shabby by any means!)

Hope this helps you making a wise decision, other members may have a slightly different view, BTW. They'll let you know.

Cees

Phil Taylor

Supporting Actor
Sitting at 8-10' from your TV you would have to have the eyesight of an eagle to notice much of a difference on under 50" size.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks