What's new

First three Adrian Belew solo albums finally on CD (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Adrian Belew, singer/songwrite/guitar player extraordinaire finally has his first three solo albums coming out on CD. For those of use without a turntable, this is wonderful news. All we had until now was a compilation.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
What's his stuff like? I'm vaguely familiar with his work with King Crimson but my only experience to his solo stuff is a CD single I have for a song he did with Bowie, "Pretty Pink Rose". I very much like that song and the two other tracks on the single, "Shoe Salesman" and "Oh Daddy".

I'm just curious if that type of sound is what I could expect from his other solo work.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I have his MR. MUSICHEAD on CD. As best I can remember I got it in the late 80's. Is it one of the first 3?

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rachael, Mr Music Head is not one of his first three because it's out on CD. The first three are not on CD yet, hence this thread. :)
Camp,
Adrian's solo music is a very eclectic, weird brand of pop music. It's also very varied. Straight acoustic pop tunes, weird sonic collages, and everything in between, featuring his quirky and sometimes overly simplistic lyrics and unique vocal expressiveness.
To me, it's extremely errratic- there are plenty of tunes I don't like, but that's part of the fun. The only album I don't really like is Guitar As Orchestra, which as an experimental guitar album. It's just boring. It's also the one which is most different. Belew's charm in his solo music is his vocals. Here is a wonderful album and the compilation of the early stuff, Desire of the Rhino King, has a lot of great tunes.
I just got Mr Music Head from DGM but haven't heard it yet.
NP: Peter Hammill, X My Heart

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Despite the fact that I love these albums, particularly "Lone Rhino", I'm not interested. You see, I have pristine LPs that sound incredible.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I had an "accidental" meeting with Adrian Belew about 18 years ago. Adrian lived in Champaign/Urbana, Illinois at the time. One Sunday afternoon I started playing volleyball with a group of people at a local park. Next week I see an article in our local paper about Adrian Belew moving to Madison, WI. I look at the picture that accompanied the story and realize he was one of the people I was playing volleyball with. So much for that brush with fame.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks