First Post Pre-Wired Room question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dan.B, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Dan.B

Dan.B Auditioning

Hello all,

I have been lurking and searching old posts, but I can't find a solution for a pre-wired room. I will have 5 HTD HD-80 in ceiling speakers, an HTD center channel and a HTD sub. I have a Yamaha HTR-5840 that will power all of this. I understand how all of the wires would connect to the receiver, but the builder told me of a wire next to a light switch that would control volume. There is no plate where the wire would be, so do I take his word and cut a hole? There is a plate for all of the wires behind the TV.

I am not sure how the wires connect to the volume control plate. Do they daisy chain from the volume control knob to the plate by the receiver? The room was pre-wired for everything, I just need to know how the volume control connects between the speakers and receivers.

Thanks,

Dan

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Welcome to the forum Dan.

Using a physical ‘knob’ to control volume used to be a fairly popular feature of custom installations. But modifications would be necessary in order for this to work with the receivers with which I am familiar (don’t know about your Yamaha).

But before I went to this trouble, I ask myself if this feature was either necessary or even desirable, given that it is so easy to control volume with a remote control.

3. John S

John S Producer

I would nix that feature. Out dated for sure. Nobody does it like that these days and many that used to, have changed.

4. Dan.B

Dan.B Auditioning

I want to thank you both for your replies.

Dan

5. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

Unless you already have the speakers in the ceiling, I would strongly suggest a different speaker solution.

The ceiling is the worst place a speaker could be placed, except maybe outside.

6. Dan.B

Dan.B Auditioning

The wire was preinstalled to the ceiling locations, (new construction). I have those ugly plastic caps hiding even uglier holes. I am getting inceiling speakers that have the positional tweeter, but I realize that I am still losing quality. Just trying to make the best of the stuation. Besides, my wife does not want to see any speakers. She hates the idea of a small center channel above the TV and the subwoofer in the corner, so I had to compromise.

Dan