What's new

First Post Pre-Wired Room question (1 Viewer)

Dan.B

Auditioning
Hello all,

I have been lurking and searching old posts, but I can't find a solution for a pre-wired room. I will have 5 HTD HD-80 in ceiling speakers, an HTD center channel and a HTD sub. I have a Yamaha HTR-5840 that will power all of this. I understand how all of the wires would connect to the receiver, but the builder told me of a wire next to a light switch that would control volume. There is no plate where the wire would be, so do I take his word and cut a hole? There is a plate for all of the wires behind the TV.

I am not sure how the wires connect to the volume control plate. Do they daisy chain from the volume control knob to the plate by the receiver? The room was pre-wired for everything, I just need to know how the volume control connects between the speakers and receivers.

Thanks,

Dan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Dan.

Using a physical ‘knob’ to control volume used to be a fairly popular feature of custom installations. But modifications would be necessary in order for this to work with the receivers with which I am familiar (don’t know about your Yamaha).

But before I went to this trouble, I ask myself if this feature was either necessary or even desirable, given that it is so easy to control volume with a remote control.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I would nix that feature. Out dated for sure. Nobody does it like that these days and many that used to, have changed.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Unless you already have the speakers in the ceiling, I would strongly suggest a different speaker solution.

The ceiling is the worst place a speaker could be placed, except maybe outside.

Dan.B

Auditioning
The wire was preinstalled to the ceiling locations, (new construction). I have those ugly plastic caps hiding even uglier holes. I am getting inceiling speakers that have the positional tweeter, but I realize that I am still losing quality. Just trying to make the best of the stuation. Besides, my wife does not want to see any speakers. She hates the idea of a small center channel above the TV and the subwoofer in the corner, so I had to compromise.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks