What's new

First post - Got my AV12's (1 Viewer)

GaryLP

Agent
Hi guys,

This is my first post here.

My AV12's are finally in.

Of course...I have the same problems with the paint spidering, but I took the pictures at different angles so as to not show it. lol.

Acutally...one is spidering pretty bad.

Does anyone know when the replacements will be ready? I don't want to bother John by asking him.

Gary

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Gary

I am in the same boat as you with the spidering...John just told me to have fun with em for a while and he will let us know when it all gets worked out.

What are you going to be doing with those two beauties may I ask. I went with a dual sealed design...seen at my website . I am planning on doing a twin for stereo dual subs. Keep us all updated on the progress, and I am sure Brett and Jack will be over here soon to throw in some pointers as well :)

http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~walterjj/
and follow the HT and Cars Link

Take care.

Jim

GaryLP

Agent
Hi Jim,

Actually, these are for my car. I know this is a home audio forum, but you guys here seem to know so much more about these drivers than any of the guys at the car audio forums.

I'm not totally sure what kind of enclosure I'll use. I'm going to experiment with a bessel alignment, but I'm not sure how it'll perform since I haven't had too much luck with that alignment in an autmobile. Most likely...if I go sealed, I'll probably end up using a butterworth alignment.

I'm also thinking about using passive radiators in a smallish enclosure...perhaps about 1.5 cubic feet each (3cf total) with a 20Hz tuning. I know this sounds kind of small but taking cabin gain into consideration, using anything much bigger than that might cause a huge peak in the 20-30Hz area. Also I thinking that...a smaller enclosure will minimize the peak in group delays near the tuning.

I'm going to be sending 1100 watts total to the drivers. I don't think I'd ever really send that much power to them, but A little headroom doesn't hurt.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Guys,

Replacements will be ready monday. I'll be taking care of call tags, etc this weekend. I'm switching from UPS to FedEx now, and the software is just showing up today. I'll need the weekend to get everything figured out.

If anyone needs replacements, please contact me and I'll get it taken care of right away next week.

John

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Gary,

I have already put these in my car!! Yes I know they "were" for home, but I had to hear it. I can say that one in 2.5ft^3 sounded better and louder than my 4.25 24Hz Tempest did on 400W. When I put the two in thier box of 1.6ft^3 each and applied 200W driver...it sounded like ass, but man did it hit hard! So, depending on your tastes, I would stay away from under 2ft^3 each for SQ.

jim

GaryLP

Agent
Hey Jim,

I'm not concerned with output at all. I've long outgrown that.

They sounded like ass using a 0.655 QTC? I'm surprised...on paper, it seems like it would be okay even using a 0.707 alignment.

Don't laugh...but this is only my temp 4.4cf downfiring enclosure.

I'm going to start by gving them 2.2cf each and gradually bring down the enclosure size using blocks of wood to experiment with different alignments. Hopefully I'll find an alignment that I like. If not, I'm probably start experimenting with PR's.

Brett...yes...they're so much beefier in person than I was expecting. To tell you the truth from intial pictures, I thought they were rather plain looking. But when the showed up at my door, I was plesantly surprised. They really are a gorgeous driver.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Gary,

Yeah the pix Jon has at his web site don't do the drivers
justice. And once they get the crackling clear powdercoat
issue resolved then IMHO the driver will be as close to
perfect as can be :)

I think I am going to strip the coating off my driver and
polish it out.. I just don't know if I can do it without
leaving any marks in the driver...

Maybe I will take Jon up on the return offer I dunno yet..
I am thinking about buying a second driver too.. :)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Brett,

Thilo had told me that on some cones they actually did strip the paint off, then coated them with some kind of special clear lacquer that won't crack like this paint did. I'll see if I can find out what he used to strip them. I should also make sure that whatever he used won't end up hurting the surrounds. Either way, if you'd like to try that and it doesn't work, i guess I could still give you the return anyway. Just make sure that the basket and motor assembly don't get damaged at all.

John

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
John,

I would never try and return something that I know I messed
up.. Stripping the cones would be tough because of the
surround. It's not the surround material I would be worried
about as rubber is fairly impervious to most caustic chemicals
but I would worry the stripper may break down the glue
binding the cone to the surround.

I am not sure yet what I am going to do.. If I did return
the driver though, I will do it when I order another AV12
and that way you could just ship the pair back to me. I have
no problems paying the freight to your door because you have
and continue to bend over backwards for us!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Guys,I've been away for awile,and just read about this clear coat issue.
Is this affecting all drivers?
I haven't hooked up my 2 Av-12's yet[these were from the very first batch single voice coil] so I don't have any "peeling" yet.
Should I return for an exchange now,or wait till mine get used and show signs for the peeling?

GaryLP

Agent
Lewis,

Perhaps you might want to ask John that question. I'm surprised that you don't have any spidering though. Mine came that way. I never had a chance to hook them up.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks