What's new

First post....advise welcome!! (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone. I've been reading around the forums and must say that this place is awesome!!Wish I would have found it sooner.
After a little reading I soon realized the need for a sub in my small HT.My budget was $200 dollars and while looking around at sears(looking at the sony) the salesperson was marking down the CV LW10 to $179. So I said, what the heck and took it home.
Hooked it up using the line level connectors and set all my speakers to small. Watching LOTR last night I couldn't believe how clear my speakers sounded. The sub was strong but I'm still not sure how to properly set it up. I need to blend it in with the other speakers, I can tell where the boom is comming from.
This is what I have:
1)sony str-db830 receiver
2)sony mf515 front
3)sony mb105 surround
4)sony cn490 center
5)cerwin-vega LW-10 sub
Wow!! this turned out to be a long one for my first one :D
Any suggestiong or comments about how to get the best out of this little system of mine would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.....
PS: be kind I'm a newbie!!:)

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Hi and welcome to the forum.

My first suggestion is to repost this over in the "Speakers and subwoofers" section. The guys over there will give you plenty of advice.

My personal advice is to go to radio shack and purchase an SPL meter ($30), and then a calibration disc like Video Essentials or Avia. These two tools are commonly considered some of the most important things to own, if you're an HT enthusiast. Using the meter and the disc, you'll be able to properly set all your speakers as well as your subwoofer to blend perfectly.

Hope this helps,

C

Thank you. I will be doing just that tomorrow.
I didn't realized that I posted in the wrong place :b
Moderator:
Would you be so kind and move this post to the right place.
Thanks ;)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Luis,

I will second CoreyH's advise. I used to constantly adjust my speakers until I purchased this handy devise. Now I never touch the DB levels.

P.S. Welcome!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
OK, my first suggestions are experiment with sub placement. I am assuming the sub is up front with your other main speakers. Try moving across the front soundstage. Usually corner placement is used by most. You may be able to find out where the crossover is set to on your receiver. That should be set to around 80Hz (although it may not be able to be changed depending on your receiver). Also, when able, see if you can invest in the sound level meter and the AVIA or Video Essentials DVD. This will help you to properly set the levels of all your speakers plus calibrate your video too.

These 3 things would account for the boom you experience.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll give them a try.Tomorrow i'll be moving the sub all over the place :D One thing, I'm not sure what the crossover is on my receiver. I read the manual but couldn't find anything.Anyone familiar with this receiver?
also, any oppinions on the CV sub?
thanks again,

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
As you're working on your levels Luis, you might find this link useful in deciding how to place your speakers. Best of luck to you!

Nice, Thanks.
My local RS is out of SL meters :frowning: they have them coming in next week. In the mean time I'm still trying to find out the crossover specs on my receiver or how to adjust it.
My main speakers are rated at 35-20,000hz, should I leave them small and keep the sub's crossover all the way up or large and adjust the crossover on the sub? What do you guys think?
Thanks...
OH, where can I get a copy of these calibrating cds.

Ok, maybe nobody uses a sony str-db830 receiver but I'll settle for something close to it. I don't think I can set the crossover on this receiver or could it be called something different than crossover? If anyone knows please help me with the answer. Thanks....

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I believe the crossover is set at 80Hz if it is familiar with my receiver. If this is so then by theory suggests setting the sub crossover to maximum so only one device activates the high pass filter. I am not sure what order the crossover is (how many dB per octave the level depreciates at) but that gets a little technical. I don't suppose that would be in the manual's specs. A low slope and you may be able to localize the sub because the human ear can localize frequencies above a certain figure (which I forgot)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks