What's new

First impressions of the MC-8! (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
:D This is the look that has been on my face since Saturday when I replaced the MC-1 with the MC-8. Set up is about the same as the MC-1. I like the new menus and the flexibility of crossover settings. so far the on/off and volume controls are the same on the Mc-8 as was the MC-1 when using my RC5000i Marantz remote. I liked the mean lean look of the MC-1 but the cool blue light and brushed aluminum face plate is growing on me.
As for sound, those that say the sound is subtle as compared to the MC-1 aren't listening or are tone deaf.My Von Schweikerts sound like a new speaker! Much cleaner, crisper and with more bass authority and control. The new Logic 7 steering is more aggressive in the surrounds and there seems to be more separation in the Front channels, my 6500 X3 room is enveloped in sound. It might be me but video looks much sharper through Satellite. 2 channel listening is very clean and a neutral with the Lex getting out of the way. I have only had it up and running 3 days so I will report back as soon as I get my PB2+ hooked up and listen to some DVD's. I have got to say my jaw is hurting from grining every time I turn my system on. This upgrade for what I paid has surpassed all other upgrades! I'll probably eat those words when the PB2+ shows up:b
Later,
Steve

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Dam Steve!

Why you gotta go and say that...your gonna end up costing me some money if you keep it up;)

Seriously thats good to hear. Have you tried the analog bypass yet ?..and any two channel listening

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
This is what audio's all about :) I can't wait to get rid of my old faithful DC-1 for an MC-8! Thanks for the post, Steve, and please let us know about any other surprises - good or bad.

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
after much thinking...i decided to go over my budget and trade in my mc-1 for an mc-8...just waiting for it to come in...anyone out there have hdcd with their lex?? let me know

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
John,
Turn about fair play it was you and Ricky that persuaded me to sell the REF 30 and get the MC-1. BTW 2 channel is very clean in by-pass mode. I have not listened to to much 2 channel yet but what I have heard the 8 does not leave a sonic signiture on the music. The Dacs in the 8 are a major upgrade from the MC-1.Its another world with the MC-8.
I'm hooking up and calibrating my PB2 so I'm making this short. You would not be dissapointed with the MC-8

Steve

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Steve, JohnT, and Ray:

All big congrats on your MC8s! And it seems like all of you got great deals, good timing :D

Ray,

One day in July, I just might stop by and hear your MC8/Citation7.1s/Snells setup!

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
POW...Thats the sound of me pulling the trigger on an mc-8:D ..Traded my mc-1 in and the mc-8 should be here by friday..

Thanks Steve for the info..

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
rick..your always welcome..in fact i'm throwing a 4th of july party..anyone of you guys(and girls) are welcome to stop by if you live close by to suffolk county ny..i should have my system up and running within 2 weeks..i feel like an expectant father!!

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
John,
Glad I could help you out.Quite a deal, huh?
Get ready for a huge S!@!it eat'in grin on your face when you fire it up. My wife was outside looking through the sliding glass door when I fired mine up and she said I had that chipmunk grin:D when I first heard the MC-8.
Later,
Steve

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Yea just to good of a deal for me to pass up, thanks for the 411. Also the trade up program is ending in a couple of weeks, so anyone sitting on the fence better make their decision soon..

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The MC-8 sounds so good that, even though I didn't have access to Steve's deal and paid a lot more than you guys did, I still feel I'm getting my money's worth.

M.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Michael,

did you have a lex prior to the mc-8 and if so can you give us some comparisions ? wondering if its the logic 7 that sounds good to ya or the mc-8 or a combination thereof

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The MC-8 is my third Lexicon. Or maybe I should say it's my third and a half. I had one of the first Dolby Digital DC-1's to arrive in NYC, which was subsequently upgraded to DTS (hence the "half"), and then traded in for an MC-1, which I've now traded for an MC-8. My comments in one of Steve's prior threads are here. They were written shortly after I received the upgrade and before I'd had much opportunity for additional tweaking and listening. My enthusiasm for the MC-8 has grown with experience. I think the Logic7 has been significantly improved for 2-channel sources. I'm also finding that the overall "presence" of the soundfield is much, much stronger.

I can't really say that the MC-8 is quieter than the MC-1, because the latter already had such a low noise floor that my amp would sometimes shut off on a dialogue-heavy film. (It automatically switches off if there's no activity in the left channel for 10 minutes.) The MC-8 may be quieter, but you'd need instruments to register the difference.

I am truly delighted with the availability of Mono Logic for DD sources. I watch a lot of older movies, and I've always enjoyed the ability of Lexicon's Mono Logic to respect the front-centered integrity of a mono mix while using the sides and surrounds to subtly recreate the ambiance of a larger auditorium. (Anchoring a mono track to an HT center speaker has never sounded right to me.)

M.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What kind of audio DAC's does the MC-8 use? AKM, Burr-Brown, Cirrus, Analog Devices, etc.?

What processor is used and is it software/hardware upgradeable like the Anthem AVM-20?

Dan

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,

The MC-8 uses AKMs top of the line DACs. Its DSP engines are a Crystal DSP and 4 AD SHARCs. It has 2 slots where additional SHARCs can be added and I think the Crystal is able to be replaced on the MC-8 too. Its software can of course be upgraded as well.

Shawn

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that the MC-12 uses its DACs in dual differential mode for all channels. I think I have seen that the MC-8 does this for the front L & R channels...

Winfred.S

Agent
This thread has me curious...

How do you do a trade up? Is ther a fixed price retailers are paying for the MC-1?

Would it be sensible to purchase a used MC-1 from audiogon for example, and go to your dealer and trade it up?

Shawn Fogg

Stunt Coordinator
*IF* the MC-1 is eligible for a trade in it is worth $3k for the MC-8 and $4k for the MC-12. If the MC-1 has already been used in trade for this promotion it isn't eligible to be traded in. Call Lexicon customer service with the serial number and they can tell you if it is eligible or not.

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks