What's new

First Home Theatre Setup - Picking a Receiver (1 Viewer)

Phi-Gam

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Ross
I am a 21 year old university guy and am ditching my KRK RP8 Studio Monitors for something more professional looking and sounding.

So far, I have picked up a brand new Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer, a pair of JBL Northridge E60s and three Klipsch Quintet satellite speakers (who knows, maybe I'll get a bigger, better centre channel soon enough). I was first of all wondering if this is a good setup for my first one, and if not, what could I do better?

To the meat of this post: receivers. I've heard many good things about the plethora of Harman Kardon receivers out there, but have had my eye on only a couple - the AVR 1600 and AVR 1700. The 1600 is only rated at 50 watts per channel, whereas the 1700 is 100 watts per channel. Obviously there are different features between each one such as 5.1 vs 7.1 and AirPlay vs. not. I'm just asking, at the moment, simply about the power and if I can run the whole system without clipping or distortion.

Anything helps!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HK changed how they rate the AVR. 1600 were rated all channels, 1700 rated 2 channels.Ie, the 1700 is inflated. Besides, 50 vs 100 won't be noticeable. Ideally all your main speakers are the same brand. But, Buy what you can afford.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks