What's new

Firmware update cures lockup on Toshiba HD-DVD players (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
According to this thread over at AVS a firmware update to cure lockup, stuttering, some HDMI problems, and clipping via HDMI is imminent for the Toshiba HD-DVD players. Many are reporting complete resolution of lockup/stuttering on the worst problem discs.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6&page=1&pp=30

The new firmware is already loaded on many later production players, will be avaible on disc for those who contact Toshiba, and also should be downloadable via the player's ethernet port sometime in the coming week. It's already available via someone on the above mentionned thread but I don't have the computer savvy to get it and burn it so I'm waiting for either the disc or the ethernet connection option.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I did the update and it does fix the lockup problems ive had so far on a few discs. Only disc im still having problems with is Cinderella Man, but its more likely a disc problem as it happens in the same spot no matter what. So im going to exchange it

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Heh, what would this update do for those of us that have had 0 problems?

I think Ill hold off until a problem actually occurs for me.

So far I have put in a number of SD DVDs and 8 HD DVDs and haven't had a single issue.

TedD

Supporting Actor
It also fixes the black and white clipping over HDMI. I installed it on my HD-D1 with no issues.

Ted

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Worked up the nerve to download and burn the new software and install on my HD-A1. Am now playing Van Helsing, which stuttered badly on 2 of the 3 previous times I played it. Am now well past the point where it acted up before and it's fine. I'm tempted to go buy a copy of Jarhead and see if that still stutters like the rental I had before.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Even though I had decided to go with the Blu-ray player. I am really glad to hear that the fix seems to be working for the HD=DVD player :D.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I've had my HD-A1 with April build date for a couple off weeks. Never had any problems with the 3 HD-DVD's I bought(Serenity, Chronicles and Van Helsing). Update to the new firmware without a hitch. Since day one I've been truly impressed with the PQ/SQ this unit puts out.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Now that updates are coming out, is there any indication that the A1 will eventually be able to output in 1080p?

Or is this an issue that will have to wait till HDMI 1.3 is out?

Also, will all existing players and displays be 1.3 compatible?

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Sales people at Future Shop in my area say the A! cant be uploaded with firmware upgrades; it has to be sent out...only the higher model can be. I am still on the fence here, is this true? Thanks

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
1080p support has nothing to do with HDMI 1.3 - no version of HDMI limits 1080p output. The problem is with the video processor. The broadcom chip used by the Toshibas doesn't support 1080p output, and no firmware update will change that.

Of course there are alternative measures one can put in place, including using a display like Sony's Ruby SXRD projector, or an external video processor that has a chip capable of proper 1080i 3:2 pulldown deinterlacing... but you better be sure your display will accept that 1080p input, otherwise you are back to square one.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Peter, you might want to correct the Future Shops guys so there not spreading false info.

I just uploaded the new firmware onto my A1. Haven't had much time to play much but I did notice that menu nav is much quicker.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
read from digitalbits that fw update via ethernet is like 30+min.

how long does it take to update via disc? i imagine people can d/l firmware, burn on disc and follow directions to get fw updated. i've done that on me pioneer 588 =)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Yes, go to post #286 in the thread linked to at AVS in the first post in this thread for instructions. I did it successfully despite total igorance of burning cds. Once I got the cd burned and placed it in the player the update took about 6 or 7 minutes. It will spit out the disc when done--it's a good idea to then power down and wait for the red power light to actually go out, unplug for a minute or so, then plug it back in and power on. None of your audio or picture settings will be lost.

This download is not from the Toshiba site, but is the genuine article.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka
FYI - There's a current thread on AVS with posts concerning someone who received their firmware update disc that contains version 1.3 - I'm waiting to see about this one as there is mention about 1080p...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I'm waiting on mine, too. Hopefully soon, though I haven't had any of the lockup problems that others have. But I want to see if the firmware will allow BTB and WTW to be passed over the DVI connection...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks