What's new

Firmware 2.0 to enable TrueHD5.1 (1 Viewer)

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

I use a HDMI/DVI cable. Works perfectly.

But Shawn is using Component for Video, so, his problem is not an HDCP handshake dropout.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Did the 2.0 update. Running great.

But I was messing around this morning and theres definitely a brightness/HDMI>DVI issue with this player.

This morning I connected through component and details in black was much improved. For instance my earlier comments on dark scenes in Unforgiven being too dark were fixed through component.

But I also noticed the pictures suffers through component. Alot of the vibrance of colors as well as some sharpness and details is noticeably better going through HDMI>DVI.

I havent experiences any skips,freezes,etc some others have.
Havent setup TrueHD yet, but theres still a sub issue

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I updated my player last night and spun Constantine in TrueHD, I had uncorrectable lip-sync issues with it. I did not try DD+ to see if it was there but from what I'm reading at AVS it's only with TrueHD. I have not tried Phantom in TrueHD yet to see if it suffers as well.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I wish I had seen this thread earlier.

Now it's too late and you can't turn back. You have to read what the actual problems that the FW2.0 did to the A1 over at AVSForum.

We can only hope that Toshiba comes out with a fix for the problems 2.0 caused soon!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I finally got the disc today. I uploaded it, played quite a bit of PHANTOM. No lip sync issues, very detailed sound. I'll throw CONSTANTINE in and see what happens.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Jon,
I run HDMI to DVI into my Pioneer Plasma... I just upgarded to 2.0... I actually never updated my Tosh until now... No problems thus far... I really need to spin a TrueHD track...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I never noticed that on my Sony HDTV and I use the HDMI exclusively and Unforgiven looked great. I have never seen that movie look so good on a TV ever. So I guess that the Toshiba HD-A1 will look alot different using the HDMI depending on what brand tv you are watching.

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
I ran "End of Days" tonight in True HD. The sound was fantastic.
BUT...I TOO HAD DROPOUTS... 3 of them throughout the film. The error would not repeat itself upon replay so the problem is obviously in the player. It might be buffering problem similar as what was in the 1.1 version software. The lip sync can be corrected after a dropout by pausing the film about a minute to let the audio catch up to the video, at least it worked for me.
I'll call Toshiba Monday. I'm sure they are aware of the problem by now.

Has anybody tried to reinstall the 2.0 software? Is that safe to do?

Steve

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would reinstall the 2.0 firmware update and see if the problem persist. It is completly safe to reinstall, I just reinstalled two days ago and had 0 problems doing so. I had some audio drop outs when listening to Dolby True HD tracks and reinstalling seemed to have corrected the problem.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just did the reinstall, no change, still getting lip-sync issues with Constantine but not with Phantom.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Connect analogs this morning. TrueHD sounds great.

Is True HD actually lower for anyone else? Its lower but theres more clarity to the discrete channels.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Jon,
According to some experts over at AVS, going HDMI to DVI has color space issues and black level issues on certain displays. I'm connected via DVI and have never noticed this problem. I checked the player via component, and I so no discernable difference, so it may be your display.

Have you used one of the calibration DVD's(Avia, Video Essentials) or the THX setup on some DVD's to calibrate your monitor?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
A poster over at AVS stated he recently spoke to a Toshiba rep and 2.1 is due out in the next week or so to fix issues from 2.0. That's all I know. Hopefully this addresses the lip-sync issue.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yea Larry calibrated with DVE.

Those of us that called in shoudl receive firmware updates inthe mail automatically.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Don't put too much faith in the auto-mailings of the disks. I've had to call each and everytime to request the disks even though I was set up for auto-mailings.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Good to know Ron-P; thanks for that bit. I've been waiting on mine, (foolishly) thinking that my having submitted my product/automatic mailing registration info would have them kick out a disc to me. Prolly should call, but now am thinking I'm glad I didn't do 2.0 upgrade given the issues. Am HDMI-->DVI with a Tosh 34HDX82.

andy wells

Agent
so just to make sure.. everyone does have to turn up the volume to a higher level for dolby tru-HD right? I do (yamaha yht 5650)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks