What's new

Firefly 12/06/02 (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Would it have been better in the original order? It seems people (myself included) keep "liking the show better and better." Does this mean that each show is building up well? Or would the original order have made things just as cool?
Just curious.

Phil

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
We'll never know until we've got all the episodes on tape or DVD and can show them, in that order, to our identical twin brothers who share our exact DNA and upbringing but have been unable to watch Firefly due to being lost in the South American jungle for the past four months.
Well, maybe not lost in the jungle - that might add extra differences to the "control" and "experiment" groups. :D
Truth be told, I don't think it really matters that much - Whedon, Minear and company seem to be working hard on making the episodes reasonably self-contained (the last few didn't really even need the clip packages they've been shown with). I imagine "in-order" Firefly would be incrementally better, but not necessarily an order of magnitude better.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Well, I think it does matter somewhat, because some of the character development that we had to wait several episodes for would have been shown to us earlier. I can't speak for anybody else, but for me it's the characters that make this show, and you didn't really get a sense of who they are until several episodes into the season. If we had gotten the original pilot as the first episode and the others in order, I think it would have been better.
Then again, to some J6P types "character development" is synonymous with "the boring part", so if they had shown things in order the rates could have been even worse than they have been. :)

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I think at the very least Train Job shouldn't have been first, the show really felt like it needed some sort of introduction.

But that is just me.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Actually, if nothing else, the fact that it seems to be getting better and better in the broadcast order in which we are watching it is demonstrative of the fact that the episodes that Fox thought would best sell the show to a broader audience are the ones that seem to be least appealing to us.

Regards,

Amy Barnes

Grip
It did?
Well, on the forums there were a good number of shocked people. And few who said it "ruined" Kaylee for them. :rolleyes:
I think at the very least it was an unexpected scene (for me, in a very good way!).
But, yes, Kaylee's fear was appropriate and touching. And Simon's poor aim was fitting as well! How many times in TV and movies do people who have never shot a gun magically have perfect aim?

derek

Second Unit
Well here's hoping Whedon and his pet project get the axe pretty quick. His penchant for pushing the lines of morality and violence just show a good mind going to waste.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Derek got his wish (sniff). Now we have more room for ground breaking morality plays like "American Idol" and "Fear Factor" and the old standby, "Cops."

Phil

PS Do you really think there will be a DVD of it? That sounds pretty unlikely. Seems more along the lines of a "Save those tapes" situation. Gosh a DVD would be nice, but why put the funding out if they don't think anyone will by them (since they assume no one was watching in the first place). Sad sad day.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I can see why some would find it morally objectionable (and consequently not watch), but what I've never understood is why anyone would hope for it to be taken away from others who aren't bothered by those aspects.

It's one thing to have a fictional character of a whore, but it's quite another to get real people to whore themselves on national TV (The Batchelor and Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire immediately come to mind).

Sigh.

Martin

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Do you really think there will be a DVD of it?
Honestly - yes, I do. At the very least, I think we'll at least see the pilot released. As to the rest, what else is Fox going to do with it? 13 episodes plus pilot isn't going to get much from Sci-Fi, and Fox is probably looking at how well Buffy and Farscape are doing on DVD and figuring that translating Firefly's TV numbers to home video sales will look pretty good.

The question is when. Fox may look at Firefly as a good thing to have when they've got no more Buffy to release, or they may decide to rush-release it and get a look at sales figures before they completely strike the sets.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Well I hope they release it on DVD. Even if its priced higher than most TV boxsets and only available via their or Mutant Enemy's web site. I've got all of the eps on dvd-r but only about half of them in 16:9 widescreen. Wouldn't even need any extras but a Joss commentary would be Shiny!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Do you really think there will be a DVD of it? That sounds pretty unlikely. Seems more along the lines of a "Save those tapes" situation. Gosh a DVD would be nice, but why put the funding out if they don't think anyone will by them (since they assume no one was watching in the first place).
One thing you have to realize is that Fox Television and Fox Home Entertainment work completely seperately from each other, with different executives and completely different management. In the chat with Fox Home Entertainmennt V.P. Peter Staddon, the show was mentioned a few times. Staddon hinted that that a DVD release may be a possibility if the show fails. I know I'd pay more for this that perhaps any other TV show on DVD.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Adam, there's no reason to assume Simon is good in a fight. River was being messed with badly, and being kept on a different planet, so it'd be difficult for her to escape even with her extraordinary intelligence. However Simon could have worked from the outside and bribed the right people to get the help he needed to rescue her. I don't think there's ever been anything to show that he broke her out of there with violence.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Jeff: My God! I have the files on my computer! I watched them. As a matter of fact, the spoiler related item is in the background of the main title sequence. They even advertised her character as that! Why do I forget?

Joel C

Screenwriter
"Ripper" is still very much alive. The BBC wants it, and is committed (per ASH comments). But Joss needs to find time to do it. Which will likely happen next year once Firefly and Buffy are gone.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
That may well be, but the point of torture is for the victim to pay attention to his torturer, not to some other victim. There's no way in hell (or on a space station) that any torturer worth his salt---and Mr. Niska seems to be a "pro"---would allow his would-be victims to spend all their time bantering and responding to each other instead of paying attention to him (except, maybe, on Batman). Where's the fun in that? As I said, it's both a silly and a dramatically false scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks