What's new

Firefly 12/06/02 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Another testament to the perfection of Lord Whedon certain to be ignored totally by the public at large

LINE OF THE NIGHT

"Stop! This is something the captain has to work out for himself!"
:choke; No it's not :choke;
"oh"
BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Saw it for the first time tonight; liked it. Basically it is Andromeda with slightly more realistic characters. If Star Trek Enterprise could take on a few qualities of this show I'd be a happy trek fan.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
OMG! Never have I seen an hour of TV where they mixed so much LOL funny stuff in the face of torture and profit!

The whole torture scene with Wash and Malcolm just flat out funny as hell.

River's got mad skills with a pistol.

Jayne having to go back to his cabin after seeing Inari's hook-up was quite humorous.

Plus, the characterizations, showing Kaylee's flight impulse get the best of her, Book's resolve in conflict, Simon's philosophical conflict with such a venture, and Wash growing a pair.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The husband of the woman appears to be virtually the same character as the light-haired youth on Andromeda.

The woman appears to be the same character as the blonde woman on Andromedia - a tough fighter who had a previous involvement with the captain.

That's about it for cloned characters, but then you've got the way they encounter slightly over the top villains and do the same sort of raids that Andromeda was known for, and there's more than a passing similarity.

But I like the Western tint they've added to it, and the better variety of characters, and the less juvenile feel.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's about it for cloned characters, but then you've got the way they encounter slightly over the top villains and do the same sort of raids that Andromeda was known for, and there's more than a passing similarity.
But I like the Western tint they've added to it, and the better variety of characters, and the less juvenile feel.
Well, both shows take place on starships in relatively desperate circumstances. That's pretty much where the similiarities end. Other episodes have struck a much different note, either more comedic or more dramatic.
Regardless, stick around. I hope you'll like what you see:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Will, I can see a few surface similarities between the Robert Hewitt Wolfe era of Andromeda and Firefly. But after you see a few more eps, I am sure that you will notice that the character depth and script writing are 5+ times more complex here in Joss Whedon's universe. We have only seen a few layers peeled from each member of this crew and I expect that the writers will have years of layers to expose if given a chance.

And don't hold your breath on Enterprise tweaking its format to add more life to the show. Ever since the writing crew for DS9 had their hands slapped for adding some depth to Seasons 3 (IMHO, the best Trek season of all time) and 4, the franchise has been firmly held to a vanilla flavor with sprinkles of pointless titillation on top. Just watch Firefly to get your fill of the qualities which intrigue you. Believe us when we say that this show is getting better every week. Next week's episode was bumped up in airing order due to its quality, so expect to be blown away.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I missed the previous episode and am wondering what, if anything, was revealed about River's traumatic history. Do the 'mad gun skills' she demonstrated in tonight's episode reveal the purpose of her training/torture?

This was easily my favorite episode of the season, and I've enjoyed them all (except the one I missed). Not too many shows can successfully incorporate a cheesy line, such as the one Jeff mentioned in his first post. Humor, violence, righteous ass-kickin', and sex of three different flavors: this episode had it all.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Patrick Sun wrote:
And totally lacking in anything like realism. Dramatic versimilitude is sacrificed for some cheap laughs from the audience.
It seems to me that, if crime boss Niska was looking for maximum fear/torture effect, he cut off the wrong body part.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Rex, please never torture me. Thank you. :)
Best hour of television. Just wished we could have it every week and for a few more season. This episode had everything that makes Firefly great.
"I'll be in my bunk."

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
Damn! I missed the first 45 minutes! I read the stuff about it going on hiatus and it never dawned on me that it would be on tonight. Is there any chance of a repeat anywhere in the known universe? On the outer rim? Please!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Damn I love this show. The chemistry between all the characters is outstanding!

I hope we see this on DVD whether it gets cancelled or not.

Does anyone have the theme song in MP3?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
2.4/4.0 overnight. Worst rating so far but after 3 weeks off air a better rating would have surprised even me. How was the advertising for Firefly? I heard a lot of complaints over at the official forums.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
There were three Firefly promos during Fox's Wednesday night lineup (I accidentally caught one of them). Beyond the Watchit email campaign (http://fox.com/firefly/watchit/ ), there did not appear to be much promotion outside of the fanbase, which is what the series desperately needs. I am hoping that the mainstream media will start complaining about the violence and lesbian scenes from last night. That should drive the voyeuristic audience types to the show for the upcoming episodes. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks