What's new

Finally upgrading my Home Theater receiver (1 Viewer)

stymie222

Agent
Real Name
Alan
I have had my Onkyo TX-SR700 for nearly 15 years or more and have been more than pleased with it's longevity and performance for all these years.
Searching for new Onkyo receivers, 100-140+ watts per channel, 7-1 or 7-2 has left me a bit worried on their quality. The reviews have been less than stellar for a brand that once was hands down, one the best on the market.

I will be spending some where between $800 to $1,000 ? and would welcome your thoughts on the brands and models to stay with that are good performers.

Last edited:

djc11369

Agent
Real Name
Darrin
Yamaha does have the reputation of being the reliability leader although I haven't seen the numbers comparing the brands. Take a look at the Aventage series starting with the RX-A860. The best deal right now is the Denon X4200W which is on closeout at a number of places like Amazon, Crutchfield and OneCall. $800 for the receiver and you can get the 3 year extended warranty through Denon for an additional $130 to give you 6 years of warranty.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/warranty

stymie222

Agent
Real Name
Alan
Thanks people- So whats up with Onkyo ? Is it the general consensus that it has lost it's luster ? Or are the higher priced receivers better quality ?

djc11369

Agent
Real Name
Darrin
Besides it's past quality problems they bought out Pioneer. They've dumped Audyssey for their own inferior AccuEQ calibration. The upper flagship models, RZ3100 and RZ1100, are near identical to the Pioneer flagship and it's quite apparent that the Pioneer division was the source behind the redesign. They don't offer HDCP 2.2 on all HDMI ports unlike other brands. They're cutting corners and have increased MSRP significantly on the flagships. In my opinion, they no longer offer the value they once had.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yamaha does have the reputation of being the reliability leader although I haven't seen the numbers comparing the brands. Take a look at the Aventage series starting with the RX-A860. The best deal right now is the Denon X4200W which is on closeout at a number of places like Amazon, Crutchfield and OneCall. $800 for the receiver and you can get the 3 year extended warranty through Denon for an additional $130 to give you 6 years of warranty.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/warranty

I'm moving up to a 4K OLED display next week, so I just ordered the X4200W to replace my AVR-3312CI. I agree that for the price this is a screaming deal. The only thing it lacks is an HD Radio tuner, especially at its original price point, but I can live without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks