What's new

Finally retired the Sony 7000... (1 Viewer)

I really had no intention of buying a new DVD player... But I read so many glowing things about the Panasonic CP72 and the price was cheap enough so I thought what the hell. Well all I can say is WOW!

My main DVD player at home was an old Sony 7000 that I’ve had since 1997. I have a couple “el-cheapo” players mainly for playing VCD, SVCD, and now DVD-R, but the picture quality on those could never come close to the Sony.

I guess it’s finally time to retire the Sony. The picture on the Panasonic is beyond impressive. And it has played everything I’ve dropped into it... DVD-R, VCD, MP3, and as a pleasant surprise SVCD, which I read many times that it would not.

Right now I have a 61” standard projection TV. I’m going to buy a widescreen set after the first of the year and I’m already chomping at the bit to see what the picture on that is going to look like.

I paid $1100 for the Sony 7000 in 1997. For $225, the Panasonic is a STEAL!

Can’t wait to get home and play with it some more... couldn’t be happier with my purchase.

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bill
I have had the Sony 7700 for a few years and also have a 6 year old 50" Hitachi Ultravision RPTV. Can you elaborate on the improved picture quality with the Panny? I'm in a similar situation: looking into a new big widescreen down the road, but thought until I got it a new dvd player wouldn't make a difference on my old RPTV

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, keep in mind, you not only paid for a then top quality DVD player, but you also paid for a very good CD player. The player does sport separate optics for both. To beat the S7000 in CD alone would require spending 1500-2000 for a dedicated CD player. Keep that in mind as you shift your system components.

I also own an S7000 from 97. Of course, I have also had several players since then after mine developed problems with dual layer discs. None operated any smoother than the 7000. Biggest difference is, as a first generation player, technologies have improved since then, and as well, Sony traditionally has had a softer image than panasonic, pioneer units. I think that was by design at the time. This eased the problem of pixelization.

Biggest differences you will notice (outside of going to progressive scan for an HD set is), more detail, perhaps better color saturations, a sharper image. But to benefit from that improved imaging, your video display does need to be capable of displaying it correctly.

Lex

Mark:

While I'm not an expert videophile who can pinpoint the exact improvments, but I can say the picture is definitely sharper than the Sony and it seems as if the color saturation is better also. Bottom line, when watching a DVD the picture just seems to be more stand out impressive than the Sony.

Doug:

You are 100% correct about playing CDs in the 7000. In fact, it was my main CD player for quite some time. When I say I'm retiring the 7000, that's only from DVDs. It's been hauled to my bedroom as a CD player. I really like the remote on the 7000 as well. That will be missed.

Still enjoying my new toy...

Bill

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
I had a Sony 7000 and still have a 7700 used in my living room. I just got an RP-82 (same video quality as the 72) and have been using it for a few weeks. The Sony 7000 was the best DVD play I have ever owned, that is until the RP-82. My first player was a Toshiba 3109. Very good player but not as good as the 7000 I replaced it with. Then I got a 7700 for the DTS option and was disappointed in the picture quality compared to the 7000, chroma bug BAD! The audio was as good if not better but I not much into music so it was really purchased for the DTS ability. Then came a Sony 700P which was my main player until the RP-82. It was an improvement over the 7700 PQ wise and it was progressive. Then came the RP-82 which has the same benchmark quality video that I remember the 7000 having plus the super detail of progressive scan. It has Panasonics top MPEG decoder that the RP-91 has but has the better Genesis/Sage/Faroudja de-interlacing chip. The better deinterlacing makes the picture look so much sharper than my 700p and no chroma bug.

Randy

Len Cheong

Second Unit
I don't know if I'll keep the RP82. I do agree the colors are vibrant but I'm wondering if the colors are more natural looking on the sony 7000. I guess that's personal preference. The RP82 also has more detail and is granier but the artifact free look of the Sony is good as well. Sound wise, I know the Sony is topnotch but I'm noticing better localization of sounds with the RP82.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for the 7000. It is my first, and only, DVD player. It's worked flawlessly since I bought it in 1997. I can't see replacing it any time soon.
-Erik

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Let's hear it for first gen players! I'm about to get my old 1st gen Toshiba 2006 back from my brother (who doesn't need it any more) to replace the APEX in the bedroom. The ol' "vertical blinds" look won't bother me in the bedroom. It will be cool to see that bad boy still running.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks