What's new

Finally bought my speakers for my Panasonic SAHE-200 (1 Viewer)

BrianHo

Agent
I bought the JBL Studio Series S312II with the matching center channel. I hope i made a wise choice. Thanks for the help i have been getting on my posts.

Thanks
Brian

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Hi Brian

Wow that was quick!

The JBL's are well liked by many here and have gotten good reviews and if your happy thats all that counts!!!

Kinda shocked at how quick you moved on to a speaker purchase. You move FAST!

=======>
So have you had any time with them yet in Stereo as thats you where un-happy with the Kenwoods, and if so what do you think so far???

Did you move the Kenwoods to the surrounds?

Do have a powered sub in the mix also?
=======>

Let the HTF know what you think of the Panny & JBL match up, as other Panny owners will certaily be listening.

Congrates on our new toys....

Cheers
Geoff

BrianHo

Agent
Well i have been looking at a lot of different speakers for a few weeks. These looked like the best bang for the buck in my price range. I wanted to order from jandr.com but shipping was too much. I decided to call anyways and the guy hooked me up with free shipping, but i had to pay $299 for each tower instead of $279. He still saved me $100! I never thought about moving my Kenwoods to the rear. I have satallite speakers in place now. I might have to retire the Optimus towers from the "B" channel and move the Kenwoods there. Never really use the "B" channel anyways. I do have a powered sub. It is a BIC America 12". I have a question for you guys. When you have a sub hooked up does it put less bass to the towers? Or will the towers sound the same weather you have a sub hooked up or not? I will post a follow up after i recieve my speakers.

Thanks
Brian

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brian

It all depends on how you have the receiver configured.

Do you have a Rat Shack Spl meter and a calabration disc yet like VE, Avia, or
Sound & Vision????

If not, this is very important to have! To set up your systems speaker and sub levels accurate, these are definitley required.
Also, they will explain in detail what your doing and why your doing it. "Avia" dose an excellent job of explaining things in great detail for those newer to HT....

I would highly recommend you pick these up as soon as you can possibly afford to do so. I belive the cali disc's are even rent-able at many video stores.

A properly calibrated system, ~{not by ear}~, can make an astounding difference.

Cheers
Geoff

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have the s26's the S center and the pb10. I am very happy with the JBL's Very sturdy, attractive and they have a great sound. The S center is very good and has been the subject of alot of positive reviews. I think you will enjoy these speakers.

Greg

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
s312 are great speakers, a bit too mid for me, but the sound stage on them a far better then the s310s and 38iis

and for about 600 for the pair, thats a pretty sweet deal, how much are their minimum requirements? ive never owned them so make sure that your receiver will provide enough continous power to drive them.

glad to hear you got such a sweet deal on them, if i had to choose a jbl speaker, id start with 312s and up thats when their stuff starts sounding pretty darn good.

BrianHo

Agent
I have a question on calibrating my system. I have never done it before. Are you talking about setting the "levels" of the speakers? On my remote i have a button for levels for each speaker. They are set on "0" right now except the subwoofer control wich goes from "min., 5, 10, 15, and max." I usually have it set at 10 or 15. At the subwoofer i have the volume and crossover set in the iddle.

Myo K

Stunt Coordinator
brian,

calibrating the system just set ups your speaker levels "individual volume in the speakers" to make all the sound coming from the speakers to sound even from the listening position.

for example if your rear speakers are 5 feet behind you and your front speakers are 2 feet in front of you, you will need to raise the rear speaker levels a bit higher to attain a volume setting similar to the front speakers from your listening position correct? speaker sentivity, also comes into play and makes things even more complcated, so you can use an spl meter to calculate decible levels from each speaker and adjust them accordingly from your listnening position.

personally, its not a big deal to me, since i like the have the surrounds much louder then normal (i like to know theyre there :)) im happy with playing around with the settings by ear, since im not a perfectionist when it comes to speaker levels.

, if it sounds good to me, its all graavey hah.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes Brian

The spl meter and cailbration disc is for just that. Trying to do it by ear, (setting channel levels) or leaving it as you have it set now, is only guessing! With those items there is NO Guessing and you will be shocked at how much better your system will sound for movies once calibrated correctly!

The Basics Area at the top, has a F&Q Primer that I recomend you read. It will help you to understand why you want to do this. Belive me you do want to obtain or barrow these items and calibrate your system correctly once you receive all you new speaks.

After Calibration:
Any time you change speaker positions and or replace a set of speakers with different ones, those will need to be recalibrated.

You can also do a search here and find tons of material to read on calibrating your system and subwoofer. I would read the primer first as it's written to be easier to understand...

Cheers
Geoff

BrianHo

Agent
How well do you think my reciever will power these speakers? What does sensitivity have to do with it? Here is what is says...Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 92dB My reciever is 130 watt @6ohm.

Brian

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brian

In the Basic Area the F&Q Primer address the speaker issue you ask about and about anything else you could ask.

At the top of the page in RED on the left hand side it says ~{Beginers F&Q Primer}~ click and read the first post. Then in Blue a bazillion things are addressed their, and you just click on what you want to learn about and it will answer your questions!

Not to be rude but you might try doing some leg work.....;)

Anything and everything you could ask for is answered their!!!

Answer to speakers:
Your 200 will do just fine powering the JBL's....

Later
Geoff
Sorry can't get the link to work,,,so you'll have to go to the F&Q yourself....

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Brian: once you calibrate your system (by ear or meters):

Don't be afraid to readjust it as you watch a movie or listen to music via the DSP. Many times I've had movies--dvd & VHS--blast me from the rear; or the center channel totally drowns out the front mains. And this is going from one movie to the next without changing my level settings.

And one DSP mode may sound great with one speaker level setting, but others I can't even hear without jacking up the surround channels in a major way.

Maybe the director or DSP engineer liked it that way but he isn't sitting in MY room with MY speakers (have you ever seen some of the huge sound mixing rooms they use for many movie sound tracks??).

This is why I made sure before buying my Technics SA-DA8 receiver it memorized level & delay settings for each individual source.

LJ

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Can someone be kind enough link the Primer for Brian.
I've tried several times and can not get it to work....

He really needs to read the Benginer F&Q Primers.....

Thanx
Geoff

BrianHo

Agent
My S312II's have arrived!! But I'm pretty upset. Before i opened the first one i noticed a hole in the box. After opening it up the speaker box itself was damaged also. I opened up the second one and it was ok. The first one was only single boxed while the other 2 (center channel and other S312II) were double boxed. Also the dust cover was all out of wack. I called J&R music World up and they are going to have UPS call me within 48 hours to schedule a pickup. After J&R gets the damaged box they will 2nd day air me a new one. If i didn't have bad luck i wouldn't have any at all! I tried the speakers out and they are awesome!!!! Makes my old Kenwoods sound like junk. These tweeters are amazing! I recommend these speaker to anyone. The Panny 200 does a good job with them. And the speakers love anything i throw at them. Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Brian

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Thats great Brian, bum deal on the bad speaker.

Be sure to read the F&Q to help so many things involved with HT. Click on anything in Blue that intrests you. Think you will find it very informative.

Told you the Panny would be fine driving the JBL's! ;) Now don't go upsetting the neighbors to quick...:D

Glad your very pleased except for the bad speak and hope you get the new one soon....

Cheers
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks