What's new

Final, Final PC Specs (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Ok... these are my final (as in the stuff is in the mail) PC component list for my new [super] computer. As usual, I changed my mind on a few things in the last seconds.
Let's see:
http://store1.yimg.com/I/directron_1684_15455431
Lian Li PC65 Aluminum Case w/ Side Window
Green Cold Cathode Light (for inside) from Directron.com
ECS K7S6A mobo
AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ (1.67 Ghz)
512MB PC2700 DDR RAM
80GB Maxtor 7200RPM HD
Lite-On 16x DVDROM
TDK VeloCD CDRW 32/10/40
VisionTek GeForce3 Ti200 Video Card
Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer (I know... I know :) )
Vantec Rounded IDE and FLOPPY cables
Vantec CCK-6027D Fan
Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Compound
wadda ya think? Ran me up around $1250 shopping from NEWEGG.COM, and DIRECTRON.COM. :D [plus it'll be fun to put together... and that 'pride of ownership' thingy]
You may now tell me how much it sucks and that I overpaid ;)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Everything looks great. One suggestion, ditch the Ti200 and get yourself a Radeon 8500. It rocks and performs at a Ti500 level for $150.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Couldnt tell you that you overpaid since I dont know what you spent on the parts individually to begin with
You may have got a good deal on some parts and not so good on others ;)
Looks like a pretty darn good system.
KyleS

The system looks pretty good to me. Note that you can probably overclock the video card using software from http://www.guru3d.com and get a little better performance out of it. Before I get flamed for suggesting that, I'd like to note that if you know nothing about vid cards and o/c'ing in general, read about it first. The fact that you're putting together your own computer in the first place is a good sign though.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Rob,
I have to know, what makes the HD a "Special Edition"? Does it have pin stripes or a hood scoop? ;)
"...except for that AMD Processor thing-a-ma-bob.." :confused: :confused: :confused:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
oops, I actually went with a Maxtor 80GB 'Quiet drive' HD because the difference was about $70. The idea behind the "Special Edition" Western Digital Drives is that there is an 8MB buffer instead of the 2MB on most drives... pricey though (around $185). Me, being the cheap bastard, went for the cheaper drive ;) [I betcha the difference is less than 5% for that $70] :D

Eric... that was exactly what I was thinking ;) Plus the GeForce3 Ti200 was cheap... around $130 :)

I am almost all done buying... gotta get the RAM and the Cold Cathode tomorrow (damn debit card... I can only use $300 per day, so I have to spread my purchases over 4 days :) )

KyleS

Screenwriter
Rob,

You can call your bank and have them update the amount of spending that is allowed on your card. This way you could spend more then 300 each day.

KyleS

KyleS

Screenwriter
I figured that much Rob but for future reference it would certainly help you if you had a higher daily spending limit on your card. Note** this would not change the $300 limit on ATM withdrawls but would allow you to not have to purchase 1 or 2 items at a time.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
You will not regret the K7S6A one minute. For as cheap as that board is, I have never run into a board (we have about 20 installed where I am an admin) that is as stable and easy an install. The board is plenty fast, and it keeps pace with the best, but it's the stability that really pays off in spades.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks