What's new

Tell me what you think of my DIY Computer Specs. (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I need some AMD mobo suggestions, please reply :D
Motherboard:???
Processor: AMD AthlonXP 1800+
RAM: 512MB DDR
Video Card: VisionTek GeFORCE Ti200
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer
CDRW Drive: TDK VeloCD 32x/10x/40x*
DVDROM Drive: 16x Creative Labs OEM
Hard Drive: Maxtor 7200RPM 80GB
Case: EVERCASE E4252W005A (10 Bay Mid-tower)
Monitor: 19" Sony Triniton (from my last computer)*
Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Elite*
Mouse: Microsoft Wheelman Optical*
* = already have it.
... wadda ya think? :D Construction Begins May 1st :)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Switch out that mobo for something with the VIA KT266A or KT333 chipset or nForce chipset and it will be all good. Also you might want to think about getting an Antec case like SX830 down at CompUSA.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Nice setup! What OS will you be running on that puppy? :)
I just put together a pretty similar, using an Athlon 1600+.
My only suggestion would be to dump the SB card though.

James St

Supporting Actor
I second what Kelley said. Since you're not building until May, then you may want to get a mobo with ddr333 and ata133 support.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Someone I know just offered to sell me their board, chip, and fans (he is upgrading to Athlon MP) REALLY CHEAP so I accepted. Went down a little to a 1600+, but I am going to save $100 (plus I can upgrade it in the future for less $$)
:D

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Rob, I have a K7S5A; not top of the line anymore, but a great board with great drivers, and it still offers more performance than most people need.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Heh, that's the same mobo that I have for my 1600XP.
Wow Rob, we have almost the exact same computer now. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Also you might want to think about getting an Antec case like SX830 down at CompUSA.
I would, but I NEED at least a 350W power supply to run all the fans and drives and graphics cards efficiently.
Aww, Andy... we're like BROTHERS now :D

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
uh there may be a slight hitch with my mobo plan... he doesn't want to give it up till August :frowning:
what brand of mobos (ATX) would you guys recommend for an AMD Athlon XP for under $100?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Seriously, look at these boards under $100:

K7S6A (SIX, not FIVE) the K7S5A is a great board, with both SDRAM and DDR. The K7S6A is a DDR333 ready board with 4 DIMM slots. Dependant on which rev you hang out with, some ship with Firewire on the board, and others do not. The chipset supports firewire onboard, so it's an 'option'. This board can be found for $75 or so, and it's a really stable, fast performing board.

In the

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
Antec cases rule, although maybe a bit expensive for some budgets.

I've got a Iwill KK266+ in this system currently, and my next will have an Iwill XP333-R for DDR and RAID. I've had great experiences with Iwill boards.

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
Sound blaster sound quality is bad compared to TerraTec and other brands. However, if you don't care much about sound quality and just needs the sound card to games, I suppose SB is ok. But I'm done with SB cards!

Justin Phillips

Auditioning
I just built a simular setup, and my only complaint is it is very loud! I am going to tweak a little bit, and try an intel setup to see if the CPU fan is a little quiter, and see what the temp differences are like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks