What's new

Figuring out impedance on unmarked drivers (1 Viewer)

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
WARNING! Stupid speaker building newbie questions below!
I have some drivers that I suspect are greater than the usual 8 ohms, but there are no markings on it whatsoever. How can I determine the impedance?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
couldn't you just use a multimeter across the voice coil to measure the resistence?

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
That's the first thing I thought of and I got a solid 8ohms, but other '8 ohm' drivers I have test anywhere between 4 and 6.5 ohms!
Also, many of the drivers in the Parts Express catalog list 'Nominal Impedance' and 'DC Resistance', the latter often being around the 6-7 ohm mark on '8ohm' speakers.
Soooo, I assume that these drivers are >8ohm. The next question I have is how can I turn them into 8 ohm drivers? What kind of resisters are used in an application like this and how do I calculate the value?
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
[Edited last by JohnnyG on July 24, 2001 at 12:25 PM]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You can't turn drivers into a specific impedance (lower than their rated impedance). Accept this fact, and design for when it's a higher impedance (which is not a bad thing!).
The problem comes when the impedance of the drivers drop below what your amp can handle in terms of providing enough current to drive the impedance load. Usually under 3 ohms is bad for most conventional amps, unless it's very robust and can handle low impedances, down to 2 ohms.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Johnny
Patrick is correct with his comments. If you put a resistor on the speaker, 1/2 of the amplifier power will go into the resistor (not a good thing).
Actually the impedance of most conventional speakers vary with frequency. Mfgrs just take a sample of the plot and post that as the value. This is the reason for the use of the word "nominal" in the stated value.
Here's an example of a impedance plot for a so called "8ohm" driver
Link Removed
[Edited last by ThomasW on July 24, 2001 at 01:05 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks