What's new

Field of Dreams: Anniversary Edition.......June 8th (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Universal plans to release the Oscar Nominated film starring Kevin Costner on June 8th in the form of a 2-disc set. Details so far include Anamorphic Widescreen(1.85:1), English Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 Surround, and a French Dolby Surround track. No word yet on supplements.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I love that movie, as do many people. The current transfer is a low bitrate, non-anamorphic affair, which will hopefully be greaty improved upon with this new edition.

Here's hoping that Universal doesn't do anything silly and drop the excellent documentary or commentary, though.

Beautiful film.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I played this again the other night and besides agreeing with Gordon about the poor transfer, I discovered the DVD was suffering from disc rot. So I'm doubly excited by this news.

Hurrah! :emoji_thumbsup:

---
So many films, so little time...

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I hope they fix the audio commentary, the audio compression on it makes it very harsh and nearly unlistenable. I've tried to sit through it several times, and have gotten a headache.

-Vince

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
I'm glad I never bought the current version. Now I don't have to double dip and just buy this upcoming Anniversary Edition.

I was so tempted over the past several months to buy this, but always put it off. Especially with the lower than $10 price, how tempting it was.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
yep same here. Never bought this so will be a welcoming addition to my ever growing collection

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
This is great news, as I had just sold my nonanamorphic copy last week. I'll definitely pick the SE up.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I'm wondering now if Universal has dropped both the original commentary from the first DVD (which did not feature Costner), plus the orig. "Video Scrapbook" documentary?

Is it possible this new 90-min. docu. is just an "expanded" version of the "Scrapbook" feature?

Features on the new 2-Discer.......

English DD5.1 & DTS 5.1 Surround

Audio Commentary by Kevin Costner, Producers Lawrence and Charles Gordon and Director Phil Alden Robinson

From Father to Son: Passing Along the Pastime - Kevin Costner, director Phil Alden Robinson and celebrity baseball players share memories and special father-son moments and discuss baseball’s impact on their lives.

The Diamond in the Husks - The original movie set still exists. View archive video and hear tales from tourists and the field’s owners.

A Look Inside Field of Dreams - A 90-minute “behind-the-scenes” documentary, including a new interview from Kevin Costner

Galena, Illinois, Pinch Hits from Chisholm, Minnesota

If YOU Build It, They Will Come

Easter Eggs: Obscure Baseball Trivia including stadium facts and photos developed exclusively for this release

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
as much as i like the cover art, it always looked to me like costner was imitating a mime pretending to lean against something

Gavin_L

Second Unit
one of my faves, can't wait to get my hands on the anniversary edition it looks awesome........

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
YEESSSS!!! Where's David Lambert when you need him? This announcement is worthy of a nude dance around the room!

John Simon

Second Unit
FANTASTIC news!!! I own the old copy, and I've always hoped to see what they'd do with a 5.1 remix of Shoeless Joe's voice in the cornfield. This is right at the top of my wishlist for special editions, and I can't wait!:emoji_thumbsup:

BrianBo

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...way back in '98 this was the first DVD I ever purchased. The format was much more exciting back then...

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Yes, yes, yes! This is my all-time favorite film (been to the movie set about 6-7 times), but I have been fighting to keep from buying the non-anamorphic version. I actually felt a bit weak last week and started looking for a used copy. Glad I didn't find one. Of course, this is Universal. Something is going to be wrong with these disks. I hope that the problem will be minor enough not to require another call to their customer service operators.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Um, would I be a bad son if I sent the old version to my Dad for Father's Day? That 2-disc set looks mighty tempting... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks