What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Field of Dreams (1989) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
234417_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Day one purchase for me. My current copy is HD DVD. It still plays just fine but 'Field of Dreams' held the spot of my #1 favorite film from 1989 to 2001. (It moved a little lower once 'The Majestic' was released in 2001.) I look forward to the 4K version.

I'm really glad that I didn't rush to replace my HD DVD films with Blu-ray versions. Now some of those titles are coming on 4K Blu-ray and it would have been a temptation for at triple-dip. My two HD DVD players still work fine and, frankly, I still prefer to spin up an HD DVD disc because the dang things load so much more quickly and efficiently than Blu-ray.

Mark

Reactions: PMF

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We visited the Field of Dreams movie site in 2011 when we (with some of our Miata-owning friends) were on the way to Chicago to start our Route 66 (Chicago to LA) adventure.

i-bGghfwK.jpg

i-cxp9wQG.jpg

Mark
Mark, was the house a facade or a fully functioning house?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We’ll be there in early April.
I believe everything is fully realized including the house.

From what I remember the sight was originally owned by two families and the gift shop was on the line half on each side.
I think that has been resolved now though.

I’m really looking forward to the visit.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It doesn’t look,Ike the little bleachers seats are original movie seats from that pic

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it's a real house. Don Lansing owned the house (and property) and lived in it when the studio approached him about building the baseball field and shooting the film there. The Lansing's maintained the site pretty much exactly as it was seen in the film. A souvenir stand was erected (the red building you see in my first photo) and the Lansing's welcomed visitors from near and far. They did not charge admission to visit the site but they did accept donations and, of course, sold souvenirs.

We visited in September 2011, just one month before the Lansing's sold the property. They were seeking buyers and ultimately sold the site to Mike and Denise Stillman and their company, Go the Distance Baseball LLC. Last I heard, the Stillman's were planning to be a bit more aggressive about marketing the tourist attraction in an attempt to earn more money from their investment, including offering tours of the house (the house was off limits when we were there in 2011). In fact, I think you now have to book a tour of some kind to even visit the site.

I'm pleased we got to see it before the Lansing's sold it. We were allowed to spend as much time there as we liked and we all bought souvenirs to say thanks.

Mark

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
71206B6E-7355-4061-B112-BED17DE39CC0.jpeg
E9E46019-39FA-46C2-BBAB-0CF98A1BBAFE.jpeg
It’s free to go onto the field and gift shop.
House Tours need to be booked 24 hrs in advance.

There are special events including this years 30th anniversary that are not free.

House tours appear to be $20 for adult 30 minute tour.

I’m happy just to get on the field and hang out for a while.
You can bring lawn chairs if you want.

Reactions: PMF

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
It’s free to go onto the field and gift shop.

That's good to know.

When the Lansing's sold it there was a little bit of an uproar on Facebook regarding the supposed plans the Stillman's had for it. I haven't followed it since.

Mark

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
A bit off topic, but in relation to the steel book edition of this film- I’m not a fan of the steel books due to how tight the spindle is in getting the disc out of the case (my BluRay of Heat
stopped playing correctly due to the disc getting warped while trying to get it off the spindle). Anyone have the same problem?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Nope, never. Not a single one has given me that problem.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Steel book editions are nice looking, but I shy away from them in fear of the disc having problems later. Not a huge deal about Heat though- it was the old mastering of the film, so I bought the latest release which is a vast improvement in video quality over the old one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Picked mine up today at BB even though the email they sent me yesterday said thank you for picking up your order.

Somehow even though they check id they still managed to give mine to a different person yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks