Fidek amps any good

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ross ish, Jul 22, 2004.

1. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

MCM has fidek amps in their clearance bin. Are they any good? The info no them is pretty limited, but they seem to have pretty good build. I am looking at the 400watt/ch model, even the 300watt look good for the price. It states 400watts/channel rms but does not list the freq range. How noisy are their fans? Are they good to power up subs? Besides some SVS chatter, not much info over the internet.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

They were one of the 'first' low buck designs around. They're OK. They're really DJ amps not designed for prosound levels of abuse. The fan is noisey. Mike Knapp (HTT forum) had one of the first ones used in a tube sub. People posted mods to lower the fan noise.

3. ross ish

ross ish Stunt Coordinator

These appear to be the better grade ones. At less than $.22/watt and at over 1/2off with free shipping, seems to be a bargain. I read the posts regarding the fan; by adding resister to slow down the fan and decrease the noise. Using the amp for the LFE channel probably would not put much of a load on the amp and the fan speed can be drastically reduced. Would a resister based trim pot in line with the fan be a good idea?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Most people would probably not agree with that conclusion.

I suggest you post your questions on HTT. Over there people have bought, modded, and finally replaced those amps.

I imagine there's a reason for those occurances.

5. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

my buddy picked up a pair of the 2U model, its pretty impressive by just looking at it, two torrids and an all aluminum chassis. But running an amp for LFE, which normally puts a 4 ohm or lower load on the amp you will be abusing it pretty hard. I can't say how he likes the amps, cause he still hasn't decided what to use them with