What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Fertility Drugs Support (1 Viewer)

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well, me and my wife have been trying to have a baby for a about 7 months now and nothing has happened. So we go to the doctor and they find that she is not doing her thing and they prescribe a fertility drug called clomid for my wife. We never thought at the ripe age of 23 that we would have problems, but here we are fixing to start our first go around with fertility drugs. We try this for 3 months, if it don't happen on the first month .

And to make things harder, we have decided not to tell the family yet. And I need somewhere to vent about this type stuff. She initially wanted it to be a surprise, thinking we would get pregnant right away. Now we just don't won't the extra pressure of people asking, has it happened yet, constantly. And we don't know if we will tell everyone that we took fertility drugs, unless it gets to where this initial treatment does not work. But cross your fingers and hope that it does.

When we first decided to have a baby, we did not exactly try. Then it came to a point where we should have bought stock in those ovulation test kits, we bought so many.

Are there any of your wifes or girls out there had any experience with this stuff? My wife is going through so many mood swings with all this baby making stuff, I can't keep up with all her personalities. And they say that this stuff makes women more moody. Oh man, I am dead.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
7 months, and you've already gone to fertility drugs? You KNOW that this is "her" problem?

My wife and I tried for over a year. Doc said talk to me once you get to two years. I took a temporary job offer in Maine, and asked her to come with me. This required her to quit her high-stress ad agency job.

She got pregnant the next month.

After a year plus, I was seriously considering a stand-in. The funny-strange side of me always wanted to say "Can I try to get her pregnant (points at random girl)? You know, just to see if it works.":D

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
As a result of some tests the doctor said she just was not doing her ovulation thing and it needed a little help. So, that is why we are giong ahead with the fertility drugs. If the doc did not find anything wrong, then sure, I would say let's continue trying without the drugs. But he put our chances of success without the drugs pretty low.

And the fact that we are young, the doc told us to come back in 6 months if nothing happend and here we are.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
My cousin and her hubby went the fertility route, and nothing ever came to fruition for over 5 years of trying. Finally, they decided to ditch the fertility drugs (the shots, the pills, etc), and focused on shopping for a new house, 3 months later, my cousin got pregnant the old fashion way. They don't discount the stress of putting her body through all the fertility cycles probably worked against her efforts to get pregnant.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
My wife and I went through it. Tried for 2 years.She went on the drugs and 6 months later she was preganant. 5 months after that she was pregnant again with our twins.we were 24 when this happen. I also know of several couples who have had invitro. Just remember there is alway adoption too.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
My wife doesn't ovulate as she should and has irregular cycles. (5-6 months on, 5-6 months off) plus one of her tubes is completely blocked with no hope of repair. All this combined with endometrosis and polycystic ovarian syndrom makes it virtually impossible for her to get pregnant on her own. Early this spring we decided to try Clomid but never made it past the second month. (She has to take it for three days then go see her doctor to see if she's ovulating on the correct side. If not, wait untill next month and repeat.) My work schedule changed as well as hers and we don't have time to make it to all the different doctors appointments we would need to so we put it off for a while. We'll probably try again next year if our schedules permit.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Clinton, I already know how this can be hard on the work schedule. Luckily my wife is a nurse (a pediatric nurse at that), and she works only 3 days a week. I can not always get to the doctor's apt. but she can. I want to go to all of them, but I can not get off work all the time.

She goes in tomorrow for more tests to make sure there are no other problems.

Phillip Larrabure

Auditioning
Three points of concern which I have had experience through family and friends.

1) A family friend was on the pill and wanted to get pregnant. It took nearly two years for her cycles to become regular and get pregnant.

2) A family member could not get pregnant. She was pretty thin, the doctor told her to gain ten pounds. After some convincing, she gained the weight and got pregnant shortly thereafter.

***ASIDE***
It was really funny seeing a somewhat obsessively weight conscious woman strutting around like a peacock so proud of their pregnant belly. Fantastic.

3) I know the doctors have said it is an issue with your wife, but this may apply to someone. A friend and his wife tried to get pregnant for a while. They went to see the doctor. The doctor told him no more jacuzzi which he used almost daily. It took about three months.

Whether all of this is helpful or not. Good luck to you.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Jon, you and your wife have my full sympathy and support. I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) and suspected Endometriosis. It took us 2 years to get pregnant but thankfully we did not have to progress beyond the "easy" fixes. So no IUI or IVF or any of that. So we've had it realitively easy compared ot several women I know. Anyway, I just gave birth to our first child 13 days a go so it's a happy story :)

Anyway, it's nice your wife's doctor has determined she's not ovulating, but I urge her to pursue the problem further. Clomid does induce ovulation for a large portion of women, BUT I think it's extremely important to determine the underlying cause. If she's diagnosed with PCOS (which is the most common cause for infertility, btw) then please know that insulin resistance is the heart of the problem. Taking an insulin sensitizing medication like metformin causes many women, myself included, to start ovulation on their own. Definitely a MUCH easier route than Clomid and healthier, too, since insulin resistance very often leads to diabetes. If she doesn't have PCOS, then push the doctor to find out exactly what's wrong.

In addition, have your wife start charting her cycles. They'll tell you guys much more than any doctor can uncover without daily monitoring. Two minutes a day will detect ovulation and when, a luteal phase defect (which is extremely common and requires progesterone therapy), and tell you when the best time to have intercourse. Most doctors assume that women ovulate on cycle day 14 but many women have very delayed ovulations that may not occur until day 25 or 30. With ovulations that late, a doctor may conclude she does not ovulate at all. And if you time intercourse for around day 14, you're missing the boat completely. Pick up the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. It's pretty much the "bible" of female fertility.

Doctors have the high-tech stuff figured out for the most part, but still have to make a lot of guesses when it comes to figuring out what a women's cycles are doing. This is especially true when the "problem" is uncovered in a single office visit. But by charting, you guys will be so much ahead of the game.

The reason why I suggest all this is because 7 months is short amound of time to conclude there is an infertility problem. After taking metformin and having it straighten out my cycles and making me ovulate every month, it STILL took another year to conceive. Now, my husband never had a sperm analysis so it's possible we have multiple issues but whatever it is, we did it on our own.

Anyway, just be careful and do all your research. Doctors are very quick to prescribe things like Clomid without really finding out what the problem is. It's just the next step in their little flow-chart but for a lot of women, it's just not the right treatment.

Good luck and I hope you're blessed with a little one of your own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sbaker1991
Recent bookmarks