What's new

Fellow Canadians help me out finding a price on Rotel RMB1066 AMP (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
To any fellow Canadian HT nuts, if you have a dealer in the area that sells Rotel could you find me a price on a Rotel RMB-1066 AMP(6x60W). Its repalcing the RB-976MkII. I only have one dealer in the area that sells them and he has given me a list price of $999CDN. What should I be looking to pay for it($850, $900CDN???). I'm really interested in this amp because it can be Bridged to 3x150W to power my Paradigm Mini Monitors and I figure I can add another down the road to get 6x150. Thanks for any help.
Kevin

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
Do you mean bi-amping the Mini-Monitors (one channel drives the tweeter, one for the woofer)? Am I correct to assume that the Mini Monitors have dual speaker posts?
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on August 28, 2001 at 07:40 PM]

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Dave,
Below is a link to the AMP in question. I am not talking about Bi-amping the speakers, but changing the power output of the AMP from 6x60w to 3x150W by flicking a switch on the back of the AMP. You just have to make sure the speakers being driven are 8ohms, which my Paradigms are. After doing some hunting for a 3 channel AMP in the 3x120+W range I've come to the conclusion that it would cost me $1200+. The Rotel RMB-1066 List Price is $999 and I was already told they will take 10% off, but I am trying to find out if I could do better. Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin
http://www.rotel.com/products/rmb1066.htm

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Kevin,
You just have to make sure the speakers being driven are 8ohms, which my Paradigms are.
That's probably just the nominal rating. The most important spec (if available) is the minimum rating. Although some Paradigms are spec'd at 8 ohms nominal, the minimum goes much lower, usually around 4 or lower. As a result, I would recommend that you look for a mag review like Stereophile or Audio Ideas Guide that show graphically the speaker impedance vs frequency. This would let you know what the minimum is. Once you know the minimum, then you can make a judgement on whether a bridged amp will work with your system. If I was you, I would be very hesitant about using a bridged amp without knowing the whole picture.
Just my 2 cents Canadian.
Dave

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I have fired of an e-mail to Rotel to see what they think. I will also fire one of to Paradigm for their answer.
Kevin
[Edited last by Kevin. W on August 29, 2001 at 10:22 PM]

GregoriusM

Second Unit
Advance Electronics in Winnipeg, MB.
204-786-6541
Ask for Graham Bremner, tell him Greg Mitchell gave you his name. They'll ship to you if you want them to.
He'll get the information for you.
... Greg
------------------
.... "just me up on my pony on my boat".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks