What's new

Rotel RMB1066 questions (1 Viewer)

Daniel Lindgren

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!

I'm a new RMB1066 owner and I have some questions that I hope someone can answer.

Question 1a: I've seen a lot of people quoting the output from the Rotel RMB 1066 as 6x60, 5x70 or 3x150W. Where does the 5x70W figure come from? I can't find it in the manual. It is my understanding that the RMB1066 has three 2-channel amplifiers (marked A, B and C), all bridgeable. I don't understand the 5x70 rating.

Question 1b: I also wonder how you set the RMB1066 for "5 channel mode", the only way I've come up with is to set one amp in bridged mode, thus having 4x60W + 1x150W. Or is there another way?

Question 2: Is there a problem with running the amp in 6 channel mode but only connecting 5 speakers? The reason I'm wondering is that I'm currently using 5 speakers with the RMB1066 in 6 channel mode (all three amplifiers in stereo mode), I can't bridge the amp for the "lonely" speaker since it's a 4 ohm speaker.

Question 3: If I want to add a 6th speaker (center back), can I mix a 4 ohm speaker and a 8 (or 6) ohm speaker on the same amplifer? My current front center is 4 ohm, I'm thinking of buying a small wall-mounted back center, the only way to connect it would be to the same amp as my front center.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Answer

1a/b: If you look on the back of the amp it is labeled ABC. Each letter represents 2 channels. Each channel has its on RCA input. So by running from the LCR, SL, SR of your receiver/preamp to only 5 of the inputs of the amp you are leaving one channel quiescent. Thus giving 5x70 as stated in Rotels specs.

2. No problem. As stated in answer 1. you are running 5x70.

3. I see no problem with it but you may want to contact Rotel with this one. You may endup putting the channel into protect mode.

If you ever plan on bridging this amp you have to make sure the speakers are all 8ohm. Other than that how are you enjoying your new amp?

Kevin

Daniel Lindgren

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Kevin.
Thanks for your answers. The manual doesn't mention the 5x70 spec, but I finally found it - on www.rotel.com http://www.rotel.com/products/rmb1066.htm to be exact.
I'm very happy with my RSP1066/RMB1066 combo, I think you get a lot for the money. I researched different receivers from a bunch of manufacturers (Yamaha, Arcam, Rotel, Sherwood, Outlaw, Harman Kardon, Marantz and a few more) for a some time before deciding to go for Rotel separates. I had a Rotel stereo receiver before that I was quite happy with, so I knew I would get good stuff.
If you want real world power and musical ability at a reasonable price, Rotel is tough to beat.
Daniel Lindgren

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.