What's new

Feel my pain....XBL hasn't worked for a week! (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I own a Netgear RP114 Web Safe Router, one that is on the "Compatible" list with XBL, or at least it is once you implement a certain workaround.

Well, when I got my kit, I followed the workaround and got connected. Then, without warning, I could no longer connect to games. I got a message saying that "my XBox could not connect to XBL". When I launch the troubleshooter, it completes the 4 connection tests and tells me that I AM connected.

I actually CAN connect directly (without my router), so I know the problem has to do with the Routed connection. I've been to XBox Tech support, and NetGear's website, and I've done all the troubleshooting I can think of.

My PC and my PS2 connect just fine from the router. The cable is not the culprit, either.

It looks like I'm gonna have to get a new router. Aaaarggghhh.

(Nobody out there can help me, can they? I didn't think so.)

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I just realized if someone like InterAct made a [decent quality] gaming router (that also worked with computers) that made sure it worked with consoles, that would be great right now.

RayKk

Stunt Coordinator
Try using Linksys BEFSR41 Etherfast Cable/DSL Router, I have one, it setup fast, it had my PC and Xbox online fast and most people who have bought them have had great results with their Xbox and PC.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

I had a Netgear RT314 which I never got to work with Xbox Live, despite implementing the workaround posted at Netgear's site. I picked up a Linksys BEFSR41 yesterday, and got in immediately. It's worth the change, IMO.

-Dave

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I have the Linksys BEFW11S4 (Wireless Router) and it works fine...no problems whatsoever in the 3 days I have been a XBL beta tester.

I was actually shocked as to just how easy it was to get "online". It is pretty amazing so far...

Good Luck!

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Someone with a Wireless router...

Please elaborate on the setup. I assume the XBox is connected to the "wired" part of the router?

I'll probably be changing routers tomorrow (or soon after)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Chris,

Yes. I currently have it hooked up via one of the four available ports (wired).

I may try out the wirless connection once I move into my new house sometime next month. Would prefer to stay "wired" for now though.

The wireless is mostly so that I can use my laptop wherever I want...

Jason Price

Second Unit
I'm curious as to why any particular router would be unable to work with XBL. I don't have XBL, but in theory, you would only need the ability to do port forwarding to get this to work. Worst case, you put the Xbox in the DMZ. I would think all consumer-grade routers would offer this functionality rather easily...

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
What do you guys think about this ? Or am I missing something. Is this not a router?
Anyone have one? I'll probably use the wired connection only for now, but I'll be ready when I want to go wireless.

Jason Price

Second Unit
What do you guys think about this ? Or am I missing something. Is this not a router?
I don't know what the heck that is. :) I wouldn't go with an MS router - they're not exactly known for their networking products. I'd stick with Linksys or D-Link...
D-Link
Linksys
I have the D-Link router, and it works great for me. I don't have XBL yet (should by the end of the week), so I can't guarantee it will work there (although, I still don't understand that whole thing - see my earlier post).

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I have the BEFSR41 Linksys Router also, and had no problems setting it up, and no connection problems. I'd recommend either a LInksys router or a Netgear one.

*edit*
I forgot you had problems with your Netgear router, so I'd say go with a Linksys.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
in theory, you would only need the ability to do port forwarding to get this to work. Worst case, you put the Xbox in the DMZ.
This is exactly what was posted at the Netgear site, but neither option cleared up the issue for me. :/ I'd stick with Linksys and save yourself from possible headaches...

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks