What's new

Fav audio demo scenes on DVD and why? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Allow me to edge toward more subtle fare...

THE GIFT has one of the most cohesive and enveloping mixes, without being showy. It never jumps out at you as gimmicky surround, but every channel is alive with sound throughout the movie. And when the movie calls for sudden bursts or directional panning, the soundtrack delivers. There's one scene where the camera shifts on and off of a dripping faucet that consistently impresses me because of how smoothly the dripping moves from channel to channel.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I completely agree with THE GIFT! WOW! This has one of the very best sound mixes I have ever heard (at least when I heard it at a THX certified theater.) It not "in your face" and it doesn't make itself known. The mix is extremely subtle. My favourite part of the mix was when a door slams shut. I remember the clarity of the sound when that door was shut. It was truly spectacular. I have the DVD but have not watched it, paying attention to the sound.

Gruson

Second Unit
I personally love the DTS version of the T-Rex attack from Jurassic Park. Plenty of bass and the T-rex yell just gives me chills! Awesome sequence with rain all around you too.

Episode 1 light saber battle is another great piece.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I also love the Jurassic Park Trex attack scene. It has it all: bass, surrounds, little nuance sounds, and of course loud SPL wall shaking material. I also think the scene in Xmen when wolverine is running around the mansion and he hears Xavier. It scared the crap outta me hearing Xavier coming from everywhere. Finally, the finale of Mission: Impossible on laserdisc. I say LD because the DVD to me did not sound nearly as impressive. Anyhow, this is just a loud loud sequence. When the second train flies by, the room shakes, the cat hides, and my mouth dropped! This is one sequence in which a guest once stated, "That's most amazing experienc I've ever had." However, I didn't show him the Haunting yet...

AJG

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
as much as i hate to say it, i thought the bullet-time explosion at the start of Swordfish was pretty impressive. The rest of the film wasnt, but that was a great audio grab on DVD.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
When I want to wow people with my set up I use these movies for audio.
1. Saving Private Ryan - Beach scene
2. Gladiator - Opening Battle
3. T-2 EE - Arnie with the mini gun at Cyberdyne
4. Heat - The shootout in the streets of L.A is still one of the most intense and realistic shootouts I have ever seen or heard. Absolutely AMAZING.
5. Air Force One Superbit - Anytime there is a shootout.
6. Band Of Brothers - There are numerous episodes that have some outstanding audio tracks.
7. The Matrix - Neo in the chopper with the min gun rescuing Morpheus.
8. The Ring - The entire movie has a great and erie soundtrack.
9. T-3 - The crane scene
10. Road To Perdition - I really liked the soundtrack on this film. One scene that stands out is where Michael Sullivan/Tom Hanks, goes with Connor Rooney to a warehouse to talk to a guy about missing barrels of booze. Connor shoots the guy in the head and then Sullivan unloads his Tommy Gun into the other two guys. That scene was amazing. It sounds like Tom Hanks is standing in your living room shooting that Tommy gun.

david*mt

Second Unit
My favorites are:

LOTR EE - Moria scene
TTT EE - Helm's Deep
Gladiator - opening scene
Dances with Wolves DTS - buffalo stampede
the Patriot SB - ending battle
Fast and the Furious - almost any scene
Blade II - again almost any scene

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Two recent favs of mine are the Region 3 releases of Hero(full bitrate DTS 6.1 Matrix) and Terminator 3(DTS). The audio highlights are Jet Li vs. Donnie Yen and the arrows scenes in the former and the crane chase in the latter.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
One that gets overlooked a lot is The Mothman Prophecies, but the audio mix really makes this a terrifying experience with good full-range surrounds and an SVS.

The flap of the fell beast's wings in TTT EE also has some mighty deep bass.

Another vote for The Gift, and in the subtler department, A Midsummer Night's Dream (Calista Flockhart version) has very nifty deep woods surround sound.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
There are some really good scenes listed here. The one I used at work was from U571 Chapter 15 (I believe) Depth Charged. Has good bass but also has good subtly interior sounds as they wait for the onslaught. Another one I just rediscovered is from Pearl Harbor. No not the attack which is pretty good but too much shown violence and cursing (my demos have to be stuff I can show just about anyone). Its chapter 11 The Battle of Britain. Great fly byes, bullets whizing and good bass especially the thump of the ME109 hitting the channel. It also not too long so people dont get too board.I also like to stop it as Ben's plane is going down, so that the people who have'nt seen it will say "hey what happened"

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
I had posted before about the opening in X-Men...
But...when my wife and I are alone we like to play Hannibal and just listen to a score that justs sounds amazing,to go along with some stunning visuals...That alone has made me pick Hannibal as one of my favorite DVD's...The story itself is almost an afterthought.

Fellowship of the ring : EE. The Troll battle in the caves, loud bass, and very nice surround activity. The Intro of TT is kicking ass too. T2 and T3. Well there's alot of nice demo out there.

I like the X2 Intro too with the music and SFX all around..

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Don't laugh!

Attack of the Clones,the "Love Pledge".I love the final swell of Anakins and Padme's love theme as they are being wheeled into the coliseum.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
4. Heat - The shootout in the streets of L.A is still one of the most intense and realistic shootouts I have ever seen or heard. Absolutely AMAZING
I agree!

And as I stated in the thread that was referred to previously (DVD ETC. Poll) I still say that Chapter 16 (In the Ice Ring) of Titan A.E. is one of the best audio demo scenes available.

Not only do you get the deep, loud bass (which always impresses people) but you also get the high frequency pitch of the icebergs colliding. Excellent use of surround channels as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks