What's new

Fav audio demo scenes on DVD and why? (1 Viewer)

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Hi guys,
Anyone care to list some certain scenes/chapters from DVDs that in their opinion have kick-ass audio? Maybe pick three and if we build up enough posts do a Top 10. Explaining why the audio in these scenes impresses you would be good, or what in particular was good about a chosen scene (LFE, rear effects etc.). I know we've had numerous threads like this in the past but lets see if we can put to together a growing favourites list. For people who want quick access to a recommended scene perhaps we can include the chapter number in posts.

Markie Boy

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
Noticed a great surround scene today in Toy Story 2. In Big Al's Tooy Barn when the toys knock over the superballs, they bounce in all five speakers.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Still my favourite audio demo is the beginning of Fellowship Of The Ring: EE (opening commentary describing the journey of the one ring). I still love that LFE sweep when Sauron is slain.

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
As far as LFE, I don't think ANY DVD comes closed to the Haunting-DTS DVD.
The SVS website has a great page for LFE-heavy DVDs, and which chapters to check.

For effects, SW:1 and 2 were extremely surround heavy, but my favorite has always been Das Boot.

Its not flashy, or loud, but all 5 speakers were constantly giving subtle sounds like drips, and creaks, and pings. You really felt like you were on the submarine.

-Nick

The opening trailer of the Terminsator 2 Ultimate Edition for superb use of surrounds.

The beginning of Event Horizon for LFE.

The pod race in Star Wars : The Phantom Menace.

Circle of Life (Home Theater mix) in The Lion King.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
Finding Nemo, Track 25, the best bass I have ever heard. When the little girl is tapping on the aquarium. It blurred my vision it was so deep and loud.

Daredevil, The bar fight close to the begining has some of the best surround use that I have hear.

Close second to Daredevil is Blade 2, when Scud is attacked in the Van by the uber vamps. Great LFE and great surround.

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite demo DVD that incorporates all the best elements of surround sound and LFE has to be Saving Private Ryan, the Omaha Beach scene has it all. Bullets flying all around, rapid shifts in volume levels, men calling for help all around and massive bass that adds incredible heft to the entire presentation.

I have not heard the DVD version of this film but the Laser Disc vesion of Apollo 13, lift-off, that has awsome LFE. With a good system you can acually notice several distict tones from the Saturn 5 rocket's thrusters. I am going to have to check out the DVD dts version - the dolby digital version does not quite have the heft.

Also, the IMAX film Super Speedway, the on the track scene has some great surround sounds that drop away with a vocal naration and then come slamming back. I have yet to have someone watching this film who does not flinch when a second Indy car passes the one you are in.

Sorry it's long but those are my votes.....:D

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Still my favourite audio demo is the beginning of Fellowship Of The Ring: EE (opening commentary describing the journey of the one ring). I still love that LFE sweep when Sauron is slain.
BIG FAT DITTO.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's always interesting to me that home theater enthusiasts usually define "impressive audio demo" this way:

LOTS of bass :)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
The opening to Fellowship is a favorite of mine as well, but in my opinion it doesnt hold a candle to the Bridge of Kazad Dum sequence. That is my favorite blow your socks off sequence to show people. After that, the Breaching of the Deeping wall in LOTR Two Towers. Simply the loudest and most terrifying bass outside of Haunting DTS I have ever heard.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
The opening scene in X-Men,When a young Magneto is being held by the soldiers and he is grasping out "pulling" the metal fence towards him...Great LFE...with the raindrops panning in the surrounds...ahhhhhhh...

One of my favorites...

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
"It's always interesting to me that home theater enthusiasts usually define "impressive audio demo" this way:

LOTS of bass "

I agree. Often, a more subtle use of sound can be just as impressive. The best use of non-subwoofer destroying sound was in Requiem For A Dream, where the old druggie tart is walking around her lounge, and the sound from the television moves around the speakers to keep its location locked in one place. its worth a listen just to hear this bit alone.....

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i think the entire movie Requiem for a Dream(Unrated Version:D ) has the best soundtrack possible. it's just an amazing movie to hear!

eric

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Toy Story2 from the Collector's Edition. The THX intro with the robot mechanic and the can of cows plus the opening video game segment has it all. LFE, surround activity, music and sound effects galore.

IMHO - still the one to beat.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Cast Away and Fight Club have amazing subtle mixes, with some amazing in your face sequences as well. Coincidentally, both showy parts are plane crashes in each film. Odd.

Chris Bedard

Stunt Coordinator
Not bass heavy, but in Eye of the Beholder, when Ewan McGregor hears his daughter playing and talking to him from different places around him, and she appears all over the room is great.

And the battle scenes in Tears of the Sun are superb.

Lev-S

Second Unit
Air Force One SUPERBIT has some beefy yet detailed gun shot effects. Great demo bit is...

Ford is hiding in the bathroom stalls and the Russian guy shoots up the stalls one by one.

It is so detailed, you can hear the sound of the gun firing, the brass ejecting, the bullets impacting the door, penetrating it, brass hitting the walls and floor, and the final thunking on the rear stall wall. Awesome. Anybody else feel me on this one?

Eric Eash

Second Unit
yeah, tears of the sun has a pretty good surround mix, especially in the jungle. all the jungle noises make my dogs go crazy trying to find the frogs. i will agree also that TS2 is still one of the best. i can't wait for the third installment after the incredibles, i just hope pixar's relationship with disney won't bring the film down. actually, all of pixar's movies have great soundtracks.

eric

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
E.T. - The ship flyover from front to back at the beginning (on both the "original" and re-release versions)
- awesome!!!!:D

Raiders - the whole opening temple scene, full of suttleties and bags!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks