What's new

Fast Times at Ridgemont High CE vs. SE. What's the difference? (1 Viewer)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I have the Collector's Edition of Fast Times ant Ridgemont High and found the Special Edition cheap. What is the difference between to 2 editions? Is it worth DDing?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, down with the original mono soundtrack! You haven't seen "Fast Times" unless the state-of-the-art 5.1 soundtrack puts you RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ABORTION CLINIC! I'd call it a definite must-buy, but I'm waiting for the super-cool 3-D version! 3-D is one full "D" better than the stupid 2-D version I have!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Good (and funny) point, but with so many songs used in the soundtrack, it's nice to have it in stereo at least.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I understand what you mean but it should be noted that the original Mono track on the first DVD was hideous, lousy DR and "tinny" with no bass whatsoever. I would have been happy with a cleaned up mono track but if the 5.1 track is faithful and improves the DR of the first DVD then I'll take it.

Anthony Clifton

Stunt Coordinator

Great post.

Aren't there 3 version of this on DVD? An original, a collector's edition and a special edition? So there's basically no way to find a version with the original soundtrack that doesn't sound like garbage? What a shame... I'd love to have a good copy of this in my collection.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I own the original and rented the new version to see if it was worth an upgrade...aside from the better artwork i'd say the new version is a no-go. First of all you got new FORCED crappy trailers for adam sandler movies and lame tv shows on dvd, and Secondly, I carefully compared the audio tracks of the 2 versions for the greatest moment of the film - "Moving In Stereo", and noticed the music cues were different on that song. Most people I guess would not notice, but if you are a fan of the Cars - and, more importantly, have seen that scene enough times - you will notice it and it was not as good as the original version.
Keep the original if you have it.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I simply gave my input on the SE and I really don't appreciate your smartass remark, nor Bill's. You guys need to grow up a little bit.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I was surprised and disappointed that the TV scenes weren't included on the recently-released SE. Perhaps they could have given us another commentary - this time with some of the cast members. That would have justified a repurchase from me. As is, I'll stick with the original CE disc. I admit that hearing Fast Times.... in 5.1 sounds interesting, but that's not enough for me to buy the disc again. And being that the original mono track isn't included on the new SE just seals the deal even further. The new Dazed and Confused disc was an easy sell because it included a new 16x9 transfer and a few goodies. (9 deleted scenes, hilarious 1970s' PSAs on the dangers of partying and drug use, etc.) The original Dazed.... DVD had a non-anamorphic transfer and no extras.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

I didn't start this. What can I say after this was needlessly said to me for merely saying the SE was an improvement in audio?

Obviously, you three don't see the rudeness started.

Yeah, down with the original mono soundtrack! You haven't seen "Fast Times" unless the state-of-the-art 5.1 soundtrack puts you RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ABORTION CLINIC! I'd call it a definite must-buy, but I'm waiting for the super-cool 3-D version! 3-D is one full "D" better than the stupid 2-D version I have!

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
My whole point is that the new SE is a compromised version of the film. Had they added the 5.1 track IN ADDITION to the original mono track, I would have absolutely no problem with it whatsoever. However, they actually took off the option to watch the film as originally released in order to provide a gimmicky 5.1 track on a movie that doesn't really benefit from having one in the first place, and the DVD isn't jam-packed with an amount of extras that would force an audio track off the disc. Essentially, the 5.1 track would have been a nice extra in addition to the film as originally released, but as it stands, the originally-released film does not exist on the newer DVD. I don't want to open a whole can of worms here, especially since the complaint in question gets very little support while the OAR argument battle is overwhelmingly on the side of preservation of original presentation, but altering a soundtrack from mono or stereo to surround is absolutely no different than colorization or artificial 3-D. Unfortunately, I have many DVD's in my collection where only an altered version of the soundtrack is available, because the studios just don't care and the majority of OAR-supporters would still rather give their sound system a workout than watch a movie in original mono. In a case like "Fast Times" when the mono track was at Universal's disposal and had already been released, there is simply no excuse. I tried to point that out in a humorous way because I thought my point would be obvious but I guess I was wrong.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

A little warning....

Stop the snide remarks back and forth.

Appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks