What's new

"fast bass", let's clear things up (1 Viewer)

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
I still read, very often, all those things about "fast bass" and how it is needed to have "accurate sound".

Most refer "tightness" as the ability of a driver to quickly shuts up after a punch, supposedly, this "speed" will make a good sub because of the good definition on bass frequencies.

Of course, this "sounds" right, but is a just a myth.

If a driver is not able to start and stop fast enough it won't play certain frequencies. It is as easy as this.

So, there is nothing such a "fast" or "slow" driver. The boomy (or sloppy) sound of some subs has more to do with their "Q" (how fast the slope of their cut frequencies act), the room in which they are located, the exact position in the room, and, lastly, with its harmonic distortion than with its proposed "speed".

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
bass quickness can be affected by the enclosure used, as well. Some enclosure designs have larger group delay than others, which makes it seem as though bass is not all that fast by smearing an already slow (by nature) transient response.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
The October and November issues of Home Theater have a subwoofer shootout that is as interesting for its methodology as it is for its results. The author spends some time debunking the notion of "fast bass"...

Mark Seaton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark Seaton
John-

Right you are. Keith Yates knowns a bit about making subwoofers work in home theaters. Some great general info about subwoofers there, beyond just the data on the models reviewed.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
All I know is my pair of JBL 2226J's are probably 'faster' than the tweeters in my main speakers!!!

Those things are freaking amazing :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks