What's new

Farewell, My Lovely (1975) and The Big Sleep (1978)- coming from Shout! Factory 2/20/18 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
A RAYMOND CHANDLER DOUBLE FEATURE STARRING ROBERT MITCHUM

Philip Marlowe (Robert Mitchum) is involved in a case of deception, double-cross and murder in Farewell, My Lovely. When Moose Malloy (Jack O'Halloran), a giant ex-con fresh from prison, asks Marlowe to find his missing sweetheart, Marlowe winds up lying unconscious on the floor with a dead man next to him. In his search for answers, Marlowe encounters a seedy collector, a seductive femme fatale and a former gangster. The case could very well cost Marlowe his life. Charlotte Rampling, Sylvia Miles, John Ireland, Harry Dean Stanton and Sylvester Stallone also star.

Philip Marlowe (Robert Mitchum), is caught in a deadly case of blackmail in The Big Sleep. General Sternwood (James Stewart), an aged and wealthy American, is being blackmailed over the antics of his two daughters, Charlotte (Sarah Miles) and Camilla (Candy Clark). Marlowe travels into the seedy underworld of crime beneath old London, through a dangerous web of murder and suicide and straight into the sinister world of gangster Eddie Mars (Oliver Reed). Joan Collins, Edward Fox and John Mills also star.
FML-BS.BR.PS.72dpi.png

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
<< THUD! >>

I want this and I want it now. FAREWELL MY LOVELY has always (until very recently) been woefully under-represented on home video. I am down for this DAY ONE! One of my holy grails can be checked off the list!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
<< THUD! >>

I want this and I want it now. FAREWELL MY LOVELY has always (until very recently) been woefully under-represented on home video. I am down for this DAY ONE! One of my holy grails can be checked off the list!
Same here. When Shout released these on DVD only in 14 and 15, I lost hope for ever seeing them on BD. Day one!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I will be buying this. I don't think I have seen Farewell My Lovely but I remember watching The Big Sleep in 1981 for its network TV premiere and liked it at the time. I was only 15 but I like mysteries more now than I did back then.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
No real interest in the Michael Winner film, but the remake of Farewell, My Lovely is very good film, and strangely underrated. I won't pre-order but if informed opinion is positive, I'll buy this disc.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
No real interest in the Michael Winner film, but the remake of Farewell, My Lovely is very good film, and strangely underrated. I won't pre-order but if informed opinion is positive, I'll buy this disc.

Agree that Farewell is a good film and hope the blu-ray is a big improvement over the DVD. No interest in the Winner dud, which wouldn't sell on its own.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
If I'm remembering correctly, they modernized The Big Sleep which took away much of the charm of these mystery yarns featuring Philip Marlowe. James Garner's Marlowe kind of proved the character belonged in the past. Farewell, My Lovely was badly underrated.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wasn't a big fan of either of these two titles, but I will buy this Blu-ray to give them another chance and to encourage more catalog releases by these boutique companies.

Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
If I'm remembering correctly, they modernized The Big Sleep which took away much of the charm of these mystery yarns featuring Philip Marlowe. James Garner's Marlowe kind of proved the character belonged in the past. Farewell, My Lovely was badly underrated.

I think the modernization came down to money. It costs a lot less to make a movie in modern dress than to create a world in period. Add to that the "uninspired" direction of Michael Winner and there you have it. A missed opportunity, though it still has its charms.

I don't know that FAREWELL was underrated at the time. It got a clutch of great reviews and played first run for three months in the competitive New York market.

I agree about MARLOWE, though I love it because I can remember an early TV airing I was too young to see and couldn't quite figure out why the lady from THE ELECTRIC COMPANY was stripping on my TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks