What's new

Family Guy - 35 Brand New Episodes! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Well, I honestly dont see how they wouldnt given the impressive figures of the DVD (thats almost $50 million gross on the 1st/2nd season DVD alone).

Kami

Screenwriter
I didn't watch family guy on TV cuz I never knew what damn day it was on!
That's cause fox changed its timeslot on a daily basis. They WANTED the show to die for some strange reason. All the while it had a small, but fierce following that could never grow because of this.

Now that it has a chance to grow, Fox changes its mind.

Thank god for TV on DVD. This is very good news for the funniest show on television.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
First Farscape gets a 4-hour mini series, now Family Guy get picked up again. It's been a good week!

All I can say is:

BUY FIREFLY THIS DECEMBER!!

(Joss needs another chance with this!)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
This news made my day, Family Guy got screwed over on our network television as much as you guys in the US. Should be great to finally get some new episodes, now i'm in the mood to watch the DVD's again. :)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Has anyone noticed they switched Family Guy and Futurama's timeslots on Cartoon Network? Since I like both of them, and they're on back to back I don't mind much. I guess there is some subliminal message in these shows that say "please change my time on a monthly basis."

And if they can't get all the original people to do the voices, I really don't see a point bringing the show back. Who else do they need besides McFarlane? Seth Green, the girl from that 70s show, and Puddy from Seinfeld... is there any other semi-famous voices? It seems plausible...

IMDB Familly Guy voice listing.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
girl from that 70s show
Who isn't the original voice anyway... the original voice of Meg was Lacey Chabert.

And don't forget Alex Borstein as Lois. She did a lot of secondary voices and was a writer for most of the show's run as well. Wouldn't be the same without her!

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
I know I'm not a Family Guy fan, but looking at it as objectively as I can, I don't think it would be a guaranteed hit if they brought it back on Fox. The show never got good ratings on Fox beyond like its first week. Even when Fox gave it a summer run without much competition, it didn't get good ratings. Fox may have moved it around a lot but they gave it a lot of chances Especially since the critics hated it; I generally agree with the Entertainment Weekly critic who wrote: "Here is a worthy successor to Arli$$ as The Awful Show They Just Keep Putting on the Air, a phenomenon as inexplicable as where Larry King gets all his suspenders. As long as they keep bringing back Family Guy, a hunk of ugly animation, I'll keep using it to line the bottom of this barrel." Wonder what he'll say about the revived version. :)

The fact that it's such a hit on DVD is impressive, but doesn't demonstrate that it has captured any portion of the audience beyond its loyal niche. The increased hype over the show, plus the people who have discovered it on DVD and Cartoon Network, might help it if it went back to Fox in a steady time-slot, but I still think it's essentially a cult show. It would work better on Cartoon Network, but they probably couldn't afford the new episodes.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
"Critics--most of them--are dumbbells. They don't know art when they see it; they can't create it, so they have to destroy it." — Carroll O'Connor. I never put much stock into the newsletter of the "Friends" fan club.

I'm excited, and I know just the show I think it should replace!

AndrewD

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think it would be a guaranteed hit if they brought it back on Fox.
There's a strong possibility that these new episodes may not even air on FOX. They may pay for the new episodes, but allow them to air on Cartoon Network. This way, they retain the rights & profit from future DVD sales without giving up their own airtime to run them.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
I think it would actually be better if they ran it on CN. It's already doing well there, it has an established viewership, and they wouldn't even need to change the time slot, but obviously it couldn't be a new one every day.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, since it does take awhile to produce episodes if they want them for January 2005, we should know pretty soon.

The thing is that the DVDs will help the show more than just simply based on sales. I gave a friend 1 of the first season discs, to check out the show, she had never heard of it before and now is totally hooked. So hooked in fact that her Christmas present will be both releases. As long as Fox puts it on in a consistant time slot it will do just fine, it won't ever be number 1 in the ratings but that's not what they're hoping for from this show anyway.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Seth Green is the only one who might be problematic to get back and I think he'd do it as he was willign to show up and do commentaries for the DVDs and voice-acting only takes a few hours a week.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Definitely. Any broadcast airings of new episodes, on either network, would basically just be advertising for the eventual DVD release anyway. If they bring in good ratings, that's just a bonus (plus would help encourage production of even more episodes in the future).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks