What's new

Explain it like I'm 4: Where do I redeem movie codes? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I get confused on movie codes because there are hidden connections: If you redeem a movie code at one site then it's available at multiple sites, but if you redeem it at another site then you screwed up and are locked to just that one service. I do this infrequently enough that I don't remember the "rules".

So I've got my Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 code. Do I use the redeemguardians.com site, the Disney site, some other site?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Just redeem directly at whatever service you use. Don't worry about going to studio sites or Ultraviolet or Disney or the sites the code sheet says - there's no need. Vudu is always the best bet because there you can redeem both UV and DMA (I'm assuming you have UV and DMA accounts). Keep it simple...

Last edited:

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Disney is pretty easy since you can connect all the various places together. I usually just redeem at DMA since that gives me the points and movie at the same time.

Going with what the code sheet says is never a bad choice.

If you mostly use Itunes go there first, but not everything is Apple eligible. If you use VUDU go there or directly to ultraviolet.com. I have found some that wouldn;t redeem at VUDU, but would at the site on the sheet and then it automatically adds to VUDU anyway.

The new UHD/4K codes throw a monkey wrench into things b/c some only give you a UHD digital if you redeem it at the studio site 1st, so
go by what the code sheet says. Some will give you UHD copy regardless and some studios won't give you UHD copy at all. UHD is changing so much that it;s impossible to keep up. Some codes give UHD now, but if you redeemed 3 weeks ago you only got a HD copy, Some studios can't even be that consistent -- one movie will give UHD, another HD only.
Sony appears to be the strangest -- last things I read said you get a UHD copy from 4K items IF you redeem at sony website, but you can only play it on Sony equipment using their APP (I can't confirn that at all).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a Disney Movies Anywhere account which is linked to various services including Disney Movie Rewards, Vudu, iTunes, Fandango and others, since you get points for each redemption. I redeem any Disney-related codes at either the Disney Movies Anywhere portal or the Disney Movie Rewards portal, to ensure that I get the points offered for the purchase. When I redeem at Disney Movie Rewards, the digital copy then shows up at every service on which its available, including iTunes and Vudu.

Codes from Paramount and Universal include both an Ultraviolet redemption and an iTunes redemption. My Ultraviolet account is linked to ny Vudu account, so I go to Vudu to redeem the UV side of the code. It then transfers to my Ultraviolet account automatically so I have it in both places. I then redeem the iTunes part of the code at iTunes.

Codes from Fox give you the choice of iTunes or Ultraviolet, but not both. For those, I typically redeem at Vudu, unless there's word that iTunes has an exclusive bonus feature not on the actual disc (which is rare). Because Ultraviolet allows you to share your digital collection with friends and family, when given the choice between UV or iTunes, I usually opt for UV so friends and family who don't live close enough to borrow a disc can still see those titles.

Warner only allows UV redemptions and does not support iTunes. I redeem at Vudu, which is linked to my UV account.

If you care about UHD redemption in UHD resolution (which not every code packaged with a UHD disc offers), it's best to follow the instructions to the letter. I've heard that if you try to redeem a code good for UHD at Vudu when the instructions say Flixster, you'll get just an HD digital copy, but if you do what they say at Flixster, it'll give you the UHD version as well. I'm not UHD capable yet so this isn't a big priority for me.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I usually just redeem at DMA since that gives me the points and movie at the same time.

I redeem any Disney-related codes at either the Disney Movies Anywhere portal or the Disney Movie Rewards portal, to ensure that I get the points offered for the purchase.

Redeeming at the providers will give you the rewards points as well. I have like 4,000 pts and didn't even know DMR was a thing until now...

I have a Disney Movies Anywhere account which is linked to various services including Disney Movie Rewards, Vudu, iTunes, Fandango and others

Fandango isn't a DMA provider...

Codes from Fox give you the choice of iTunes or Ultraviolet, but not both.

You can get both by redeeming first at iTunes then UV, but not the other way around. Oldest trick in the digital code book ;)

I've heard that if you try to redeem a code good for UHD at Vudu when the instructions say Flixster, you'll get just an HD digital copy, but if you do what they say at Flixster, it'll give you the UHD version as well.

Flixster closed up shop this week...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Fandango isn't a DMA provider...

I didn't say they were; I said my DMA account is linked to Fandango, which is absolutely true. Buy a movie ticket to a Disney movie on Fandango, get points added to the account.

You can get both by redeeming first at iTunes then UV, but not the other way around. Oldest trick in the digital code book

Nonetheless, the insert specifies that you get one redemption only on Fox, and I'm not going to tell people to do something that Fox says they don't allow, and which they could take away at any moment. A Paramount or Universal code clearly tells you that you can redeem both; the Fox does not. People should be feel to try what they want, but just because it worked one day doesn't mean it will work another day, and I don't think it's something for people to count on.

Flixster closed up shop this week...

Nonetheless, as I was saying in my post, certain titles only offered UHD redemption by redeeming on Flixster. That is where people should go if they want the UHD part of the code. If Flixster has shut down, hopefully their site will direct customers to another location. As it stands now, there are hundreds of titles out there with included coupons that direct the customer to Flixster and with fine print that guarantees that they will be valid until 2019 or later. Flixster will have to work out something to honor those arrangements they've already promised.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I didn't say they were; I said my DMA account is linked to Fandango, which is absolutely true. Buy a movie ticket to a Disney movie on Fandango, get points added to the account.

I totally get that Josh but we're trying to help DaveF redeem digital copies, not where buy movie tickets to get rewards points. Not trying to sound flippant at all - I was just trying to keep the focus on that...

If Flixster has shut down, hopefully their site will direct customers to another location... Flixster will have to work out something to honor those arrangements they've already promised.

Yes, they are directing people to Vudu, which un-complicates the whole where to redeem UHD codes issue...

At the end of the day DaveF, as I said in my first post, redeeming at a Vudu account that is linked to your UV and DMA accounts is the single best thing you can do.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wonder on what kinds of other movies will 4-year-old DaveF be redeeming his points? :D

I can be of no help at all on this topic, Dave...as I have NEVER redeemed a movie code anywhere...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If you have a choice between Vudu and Apple redemption (ie can't do both), I'd wait until September 5th before redeeming those codes. The calculus could change, who knows.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you have a choice between Vudu and Apple redemption (ie can't do both), I'd wait until September 5th before redeeming those codes. The calculus could change, who knows.
How do I even know if I have a choice? This is the whole "secret rules" part of movie codes that confuses me!

If the magic eight ball says I don't have a choice, what does waiting two weeks do?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I wonder on what kinds of other movies will 4-year-old DaveF be redeeming his points? :D

I can be of no help at all on this topic, Dave...as I have NEVER redeemed a movie code anywhere...
Deadpool 2. John Wick 2.

You know, typical kids' fare :D

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
I get confused on movie codes because there are hidden connections: If you redeem a movie code at one site then it's available at multiple sites, but if you redeem it at another site then you screwed up and are locked to just that one service. I do this infrequently enough that I don't remember the "rules".

So I've got my Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 code. Do I use the redeemguardians.com site, the Disney site, some other site?

If it's the 4K/3D version you better check this thread...

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=295762

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, started with the redeemguardian.com site ( having misread the initial suggestions). But that site then asked me what video site I wanted to redeem with, listing them all.

I went to VUDU to redeem from there. And then the movie appeared immediately in my DMA account which is linked to everything.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It varies by studios. Some are both, some are only UV. One of em used to be iTunes but that's not true any more. It's a PITA to keep them straight.

Apple is expected to adopt 4K/HDR on September 7th. It's very likely they will not provide an economical bridge path from HD redemptions to UHD, but we simply don't know. UV doesn't give a crap if you own the HD version, all UHDs are full price. It would be a very Apple thing to allow a bridge but no hints it will happen

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I had to enter my code separately at VUDU and Disney Rewards, even though they are linked. It might have been because I received the steel-book Best Buy version and tried to enter the code before release date.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The ironic thing is that, while unlike Mr. Frezon I have redeemed codes, I've never watched a movie from these sites. I'm redeeming with a feeling of "future proofing", because otherwise I don't know what they're for. If I've got the disc, I don't need the online version. And since the online movies don't have an offline viewing mode, they're no use to me on travel.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
And since the online movies don't have an offline viewing mode, they're no use to me on travel.

I download Vudu movies to my iPad while traveling all the time... (unless I'm reading your comment wrong?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks