What's new

Experience with a product called the AH! Noisekiller?? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
My bet is it is just a very simple low pass filter that starts to act at quite a high frequency (ie removes this ring or harshness by attenuating the higher frequencies going to the tweeter). Given the size of that box it likely cost them less than $5 to make.

Adding any extra components to a properly designed crossover network is a bad idea to me. But if you really want to try it go to the DIY advanced section and ask the guys there how to make a similar low pass filter. A few cheap components (of higher quality than will be used in that box) and some soldering and you'll find out.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
That's my guess. Only thing that comes to mind given my current knowledge base.

Doesn't make any differnce if a crossover is placed in the signal path before or after the binding posts. A lot of the DIY guys keep their crossovers external until they finalize the design. Then they put them inside the enclosure.

You could even remove the terminal cup on your speaker and hook it up on the inside if you wanted. Remembering of course to put the terminal cup back when you are done :p)

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
I would be interested in trying to make my own, but have no idea of how to word my request for DYI help.

Steve

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Point them to this thread. They will either tell you I'm an idiot and got it all wrong. Or they will be able to give you the info you need to build your own.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, that's what it looks like. AFAIK, metal tweeters often have resonance frequencies in the ultrasonic range, I think around 30 - 40 KHz. If the incoming signal has information in this frequency range (and it is entirely possible that it does, depending on your equipment), it could cause the tweeter to resonate. While you won't hear these frequencies directly, it will affect the other frequencies the tweeter is reproducing. I think this would also help with RFI.

At least, that's what I'm assuming the theory is. As far as adding another filter to the crossover goes, I don't think that should be a big problem. Most crossovers I've seen deal with the handoff between the drivers, i.e. the bottom end of the tweeter and the top end of the woofer. I haven't seen any that control the top end of the tweeter, so this new filter shouldn't be interfering with anything there. And if it's properly designed, it should be 'pretty transparent' at the 20-20KHz frequency range, and not cause any significant frequency-dependent attenuation or phase shift.

Having said all that, I doubt if I'd personally use something like this. If you're interested, see if you can demo them with an option to return if they don't work out for you.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
We can try to guess ad nauseam what's in that little black box, but the truth is: you don't need it.

If you have good professional speakers, they won't be constructed such that you will have to hook an obscure thingee to the posts to make it work better.

Cees

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I have been curious about this product as well. My understanding is that this box is designed to eliminate upper frequency harshness that occurs in speakers that are exceptionally bright. I plan on trying one of these with my Paradigm Studio 60's. Mine are new and still not broken in but I have noticed a good deal of sibilance on certain source material. I'm hoping that this product combined with additional break-in will resolve the issue.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
If you have good professional speakers, they won't be constructed such that you will have to hook an obscure thingee to the posts to make it work better.
And such speakers might cost a good deal more than your current speakers + $50...

I wouldn't dismiss it outright, but I wouldn't try it out either. It may be a good purchase for some people.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
I use a pair of the AH! LS Noise Killer on my Paradigm Studio 40's which are my mains. My 40's are bi-wired with Analysis Plus Oval 12/9's ( 9's for low end) They take the harshness out of the top-end and are subtle, yet effective in my setup. I use DIY room treatments/bass traps, so I was not looking for these to cure room ills.

They are a zobel type parallel filter. An audio asylum search will give you more technical background on the use of an AH! LS type filter. I picked mine up used for well under the $50. price these go for new.

I would recommend them for Paradigm users who are bothered by the "brightness" so often mentioned when Paradigm is discussed.

BOK

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I just bit the bullet and ordered 3 of these. They are not refundable so I really hope I did'nt get suckered. I'll be back to post my impressions once they arrive on Wednesday.

The upside of this is that IF these $25 doohickeys work, I'll stop lusting after a new $2,000 power amp!!!

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
They absolutly don't do anything. I have a friend who has Newform R645s and we did not hear a difference. I then tried it on my paradigms and did not hear a difference.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,

Thanks for the reassurance!!!!:p) Too late I already drank the Koo-Aid!!

I hope I get better results than you and your friend. Seems that opinions vary widely on this product. 10 of 11 people on AudioReview seemed to think that the product did what it was supposed to do. Like said I'll be back in a day or so to share my opinion.

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
I received my 3 AH! Noisekillers today. Very prompt service from upscaleaudio.com. It was also a snap to install these things. Just screwed them into the high frequency binding posts on my Studio 60's and CC. I played some DVD's and CD's that had sounded somewhat harsh (sibilant) with my equipment.

I did notice a perceptible yet subtle improvement from using the Noisekillers. My Paradigm Studio's seem to have mellowed out a bit. The sibilance is'nt completely gone but it is reduced to the point where I don't notice it unless I am specifically looking for it. Also, I can say with confidence that I have not noticed any adverse effects ofusing this product.

With the Noisekillers they recommend a break in period before any critical evaluation so I will follow up on this post in a week or so. Early impressions are that this was a pretty decent tweak for $25 ea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks