What's new

Expectations on picture geometry - should I call a tech? (1 Viewer)

Tim.Tracy

Auditioning
I bought a 36" Toshiba HD upgradeable set 36HFX72 from Bernies this weekend and love the picture. However, there is a "slight" curvature in the vertical and horizontal images on the screen. It's especially frustrating when watching letterboxed dvds because the letterboxing has a 1/4" bow from the edge of the screen to the middle. Since I bought this set just a few days ago, I could wrestle the beast back to the store and have them reorder (it was the last one) or I could have a service tech work on it under warrantee. I called the closest tech & he questioned how "unwatchable" the set truly is if there's "only" a 1/4 bow to the horizontal lines on the screen. Basically, I was told (over the phone) that if he couldn't correct the image from the service menu then he'd take the set back for 2-3 weeks to work on. Since this is our first TV over 27" and our first flat-screen, are my expectations too high, or am I being taken for a ride? Do all flat-screen TVs have slight picture geometry problems, and if so, shouldn't they be able to correct them from the service menu? Would I be cutting short the life of my set by letting a tech open it up?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Canned Response.

Flat tube sets are notorious for their poor geometry and convergence. It is a weakness in this technology at this time. If you want better geometry, buy a more conventional curved tube set.

If the geometry errors are not symmetrical in nature, chances are, the problem cannot be fixed in house. In most cases, what you see will be "within factory tolerances."

One probably has to go through some 10 units before finding one with acceptable geometry and convergence. Very few stores would permit any person to open 10 units.

Regards

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hi, I had the same problem with mine, you cannot totally get rid of this problem, but you can reduce it through the geometry settings in the service menu, I am pretty sure the codes for the HFX72 and 71 are the same and I have soem info on the 71 service menu, if you like just e-mail me and i will send you what info i have.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
John,

I think he's refering to the "very few stores would permit any person to open 10 units" part about Bernie's.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.