1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Exodus Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by matt-hough, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    benbess likes this.
  2. Virgoan

Virgoan Supporting Actor

Ron Pulliam
    I very much loved seeing "Exodus" look this splendid after decades of seeing it in less-than-optimal condition. Yes, there are limitations that don't make it THE most desirable version that could be imagined, but it's much more than adequate as a representation of Preminger's film.

atfree likes this.
  3. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    • Yeah, I think this is as good as we're going to get, so I didn't mind triple-dipping (bought the Australian and the German editions). The intermission is correctly placed, The sound is quite dynamic for a change. The PQ is somewhat better than the foreign Blu-rays, I think. Certainly EXODUS was not Best Picture fodder, especially up against the other films of 1960 (SPARTACUS should have easily won over THE APARTMENT, in my opinion, but it wasn't even nominated!). Despite it formidable length, it does not tell the story of Israel with enough scope, and the front-and-center romance between Newman and Saint is essentially wasted time that could better have been spent educating the audience about the plight of the Jews and developed a more nuanced history lesson for us. I love Dalton Trumbo's work, but with EXODUS I just don't think he took the best advantage of the opportunity. Nonetheless, I have a great fondness for the film. I was only ten when I first saw it, and probably had little to no understanding of what was going on, but it affected me quite deeply (especially the final ten minutes or so). I later voluntarily read the Uris novel (meaning, I wasn't assigned it at school) and found it much more emotionally resonant.

Virgoan likes this.
  4. Virgoan

Virgoan Supporting Actor

Ron Pulliam
    That's an interesting take, Dick, on the approach to the film that Trumbo and Preminger took. I know that Newman and Saint were the "star power" to draw in audiences, and in 1960, that was what was needed. I've read people are critical of the lack of chemistry between the two. I've always felt that each of the characters were more dedicated to their personal agendas than to the prospect of an emotional commitment. I remember seeing this in a theater with my mom. What I remembered best about it was the music. "Exodus" was my very first soundtrack LP. That grew into a passion/obsession that has not abated these MANY years later.

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Well, the music is extraordinary (but then, so was Tiomkin's for SPARTACUS...nobody writes music like this anymore) and certainly was instrumental (forgive the pun) in making the film seem better than it probably is. In my case, I had an instant crush on Jill Haworth, who was a dead ringer for my secret (unrequited) sweetheart the year prior in my fifth grade class. And I mean dead ringer, pony tail and all. That is why the final ten minutes of the film have such an emotional resonance for me. If for no other reason, EXODUS will remain close to my heart.

Virgoan likes this.
  6. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

Tiomkin composed The Alamo. Alex North composed Spartacus. All great scores but I would have given the Oscar to North.

7. trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    North should of won an oscar for CLEOPATRA also.

8. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    Yes, North should have won for Spartacus and Cleopatra and for many others.

9. trajan007

trajan007 Second Unit

Larry C Bender
    WILLARD and CHEYENNE AUTUMN we can safely pass on.

10. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I liked these scores, too but only Exodus made me go out and buy the soundtrack on CD after watching the movie so I guess I am happy with Exodus winning it.

11. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

In my case I rushed out to order the Spartacus soundtrack after seeing it in it's original roadshow presentation in NY. After seeing Exodus roadshow I did the same. That said Spartacus was imho the better score.

12. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Holy crap! That was a bad error. I knew that. Thanks for the catch.

13. rjsdvd

rjsdvd Extra

Robert Short
    I have the German blu-ray of "Exodus." Can anyone tell me if the Twilight Time release is substantially better?

14. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    I know they worked on the audio and give us all lossless 5.1, 4.0 and 2.0 DTS, plus the isolated score track. I am not sure if there is a difference with the video.

15. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I haven't seen the German, but my understanding is that the video transfer is the same, with the exception of the opening credits. Apparently on the German disc (and other international pressings) the credits are weirdly and unnecessarily windowboxed within the 2.35:1 frame, whereas on the Twilight Time disc, the credits fill the entire 2.35:1 as they would have in theaters originally. The discs were authored in different places, so the compression might be slightly different, but I think what's actually onscreen should appear to be about the same.

The big upgrade on the TT version is the audio - more information about the audio restoration from the TT website:
    http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/news/notes-on-the-audio-restoration-of-exodus-part-1-the-source-element/

http://www.twilighttimemovies.com/news/notes-on-the-audio-restoration-of-exodus-part-2-recovery-and-reclamation/

16. john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

I have both and would definitely recommend the TT.
    Not only were the titles windowboxed they were scratched and riddled with splices. Apart from the much superior sound(save the somewhat periodically low dialogue), the PQ looks marginally sharper to my eyes.

17. rjsdvd

rjsdvd Extra

Robert Short
    Thank you Dr. Griffin, Josh Steinberg and John A. Hunter for your comments - I will take them all under advisement.

18. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    The Museum of Modern Art in NYC will be showing Exodus in May - no word on their webpage if it'll be a DCP, 35mm or 70mm.

19. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    Well, it's doubtful it would be 70mm unless someone thinks showing a completely faded print is fun.

20. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It's showing in the Bartos Theater, which doesn't have 70mm.

Josh Steinberg likes this.