What's new

Excite@Home cable modem service could end on Friday! (1 Viewer)

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
My service is back up already, here on AT&T's network in Seattle. I had to make a few changes to my news and mail settings, but things look good so far.

ScottFauque

Agent
[rant]Well it was not so darn funny (as my previous post would indicate) when I got up on Sat to find a dead internet access (suburb of Chicago).
On the morning I was going to test the Kenwood Entre Hub (cover art, etc) none the less! The HT gods smiled upon me, however, because there was a 30 day free promo code in the Entre setup screens when you selected the option that you don't have a internet connection.
Now using earthlink at 45K. It's fair for mostly text :frowning:
I just want to know who to blame so I can stop supporting them in whatever way I must be now.[/rant]
Interesting I used the rant button and it wrapped the above the above text with and .

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
This is great. I just upgraded from my mediaone account to @home about 2 weeks ago. The "upgrade" was nothing but a pain in the but for two weeks because they couldn't get anything correct. I'm not surprised they went bankrupt with the shoddy service I received.

Anyway, I called my mediaone local number and they said that service should be restored in 1-14 days. I'll believe it when I see it.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
YAHOO!!!
This came from www.comcastonline.com/info.htm
On 12/3/01, Comcast and a group of other broadband service providers reached a definitive agreement with Excite@Home that ensures the uninterrupted continuation of high-speed service for Comcast @Home customers.
WHOO!
Mike

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, the good news is that broadband service has been migrated to Dallas users by AT&T. The bad news is that our @home.com address has changed to @attbi.com .

I rather liked my email address. But I guess I'll settle for reliable broadband access. Let's hope AT&T provides it.

- Steve

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I'm up and running again. I got home from work and turned on my modem and found 3 green lights. Woohoo! I changed my settings and I'm sailing at 1.5Mbps again! Ahhhh...sweet sweet broadband. Don't ever leave me again. :)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm up and running again also. Only 2 days without access. Not bad at all. I think that AT&T did a great job getting people transferred over quickly (I know that not all are transferred yet). While I was without service, I was looking for alternatives. It was amazing to me how crappy most of the DSL providers seem to be. Lots and lots of complaints. I'm glad that I don't have to change and I'm very happy with my AT&T Broadband.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
MikeG - thanks for the link. Nice of Comcast to not email us any info.
BTW, I can't wait to see what kind of network Comcast will build. I am holding out hope that it will be a "1Gbps, all fiber" system, but having dealt with Comcast on billing issues, service, etc. I expect it to be along the lines of "rusty soup cans connected by old twine." In fact, I believe I saw a Comcast guy down at the local flea market scooping up an armload of 2400 modems ;)

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'm in the Pittsburgh area and AT&T is supposed to have us up on the new network on Thursday.

Those of you who are now back up and running - exactly what did you have to do to reconnect? Did you wait for a phone call with instructions or what?

I never did get my phone call telling me about the @Home shutdown, although several co-workers here did.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
One day you'll notice that your cable modem's lights are on...bring up your web browser and you will be redirected to a page with instructions.

- Steve

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Doesn't that assume you're using AT&T/Excite as your home page? Personally, I got an e-mail that explained what to do. Oh, and every newsgroup had a similar message.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
No, the migration web page shows up regardless of your home page setting. I don't know how they do it, but you keep getting that page until you change your DNS settings and (in my case) reboot.

- Steve

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Huh, interesting. One more question: do you have the @home software package installed? Sorry for all the questions, I just can't figure out how they changed your browser's home page like that.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, it probably wouldn't work just by opening the web browser if you have it set to open to a blank screen. However, as soon as you try to pull up a page on the internet, it'll recognize the queries as being to the old DNS and just serve up the instructions page instead of the page you were looking for. Pretty simple stuff.

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
My service was restored on Saturday night but I still can't access any websites half the time I try to use it. So far, I'm not impressed with the new network.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks