[email protected] cable modem service could end on Friday!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Nov 28, 2001.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

[email protected] has filed for bankruptsy and it's creditors are trying to shut it down. They could pull the plug on millions of cable modem subscribers this Friday! Man, this is going to suck!
    Excite End Could Be Near

2. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Its not in your cable companies best interest to let millions of dollars walk out the door. Check with your provider (the name before @Home) to see what their plans are. [email protected], my provider, has already said that they have a backup plan, and are ready to implement it if the courts shut down [email protected] Only potential problems will be the loss of data stores on Excite's servers, such as user webpages and email. I don't use either, so I'm not worried at all. They also said any network downtime would be refunded, which is quite nice!

I'd be a very grumpy man without my cable modem. Can't get DSL where I live, and the network quality of my cable modem has been fantastic.

3. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I use AT&T @Home and they sent me a letter saying that they are in negotiations to buy the @Home service. If they do then there will be no changes to my service. If they don't then they will be offering their own ISP services. Basically my email address (that I don't even use) will change and I'll have to make some minor adjustments to my network settings. If there will be downtime then I'm sure I'll have no problem getting a reimbursement. They've reimbursed me in the past for downtime. I'm not really worried. If I have any problems they're just a phone call away and have pretty good customer service.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

The two dominant cable companies in Canada have already switched away from @Home because of these fears. Both have already required their customers to change their email addresses from @home.com to @shaw.ca and @rogers.ca.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah, like Don said I don't think the cable customers have to aorry about losing service, since the cable companies aren't willing to just drop the Internet service. Maybe prices will go up though, which would be just as bad, IMO...

/Mike

6. Jeff R.

Jeff R. Stunt Coordinator

I use AT&T and I got a letter stating they had backup plans in case they couldn't buy @Home and any downtime would be reinbursed. My only concern is if they switch to their own ISP, we will automatically be agreeing to their "new" service agreement which I still don't know what it says. If it is similiar enough to the @Home service agreement, then I don't have any problems.

7. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Don - I also have Comcast, so if what you're saying is true, then I definitely feel better. Still, you have to wonder how long the downtime might be before they can implement their "backup" plan. Hopefully not long.

8. ToddS

ToddS Stunt Coordinator

I have [email protected] and I received a call today saying that they are switching to charter pipeline. The thing is I had unlimited download speed for $30.00 a month and $5.00 modem rental and now I am going to have to pay $45.00 for 512K downloads. The good news is they are coming out Saturday to make the changes so I won't be down for too long.

9. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I also have at&t as a provider. I hope everything works out okay.

Jon

10. AndyVX

AndyVX Supporting Actor

PatrickM,

As far as I know Rogers only has a backup plan for email. They have said many, many times that they have faith in @Home to be able to continue to provide web service. So what they've done is asked everyone to switch over to the @rogers.com email address.

BUT, what good is this if @Home shuts down completely? If I can't get online, I sure as hell can't check my @rogers.com email.

Anyways, Shaw has been working on building their own backbone to the internet over the last year or so and I think they've already switched over to it. Shaw also tried to get Rogers to go in (half/half) on their own backbone, but Rogers declined because they had such faith in @Home.

Well, this was the situation in July, and I somehow doubt that Rogers was able to build their own internet backbone in 5 months knowing how incompetant they are.

11. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

FWIW, @Home's been operating under bankruptcy for quite a while now (over a month ??), the AT&T buy out is a long shot for now, as there are all kinds of legal problems. For starters, AT&T was the largest shareholder of [email protected] and had half (??) of the seats on the board. A number of lawsuits have been filed by [email protected] bond holders that claims AT&T knowingly trashed the company so they can buy it for a song (I think the offer is $375 million for a company that at one time worthed about $30 billion and has over 4 million users with growing user base every quarter).

I, for one, have never thought that a company that have that kind of user base and a growing business can go belly up just like that, but then again, I never thought ERON, an energy trading company that worth $90 blllion and trades about 1/3 of all natural gas in Western US less than 12 months ago can be down to practically NOTHING in less than 2 months.

12. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know what will become of Exicte.com the web portal? I use that for my email, not my @home account.

Does anyone know if this will die too, if so I need to go back up my mail.

13. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Excie was sold (recently, I think it was approved by the [email protected] board merely days ago) to Infospace (for $10 Million, it was worth $7.2 Billion at the time of the Excite @Home merge). As far as I know Infospace will keep it going.

14. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Hate to burst anyone's bubble, but it sounds like Comcast's plan to provide their own service won't be available until sometime next year. [​IMG]
    Comcast, Cox Hurry to Build Networks

15. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I'm hooked up through Cox and even though they are working to set up their own network, it will be weeks before that is ready, under any circumstances. They say they have worked out a deal with some free-ISP for dial-up, but I'm reluctant to install any of their software. In anticipation of this I have maintained an old dial-up service, but it's only 10 hours a month, so my surfing will be greatly curtailed if @Home pulls the plug - only 10 hours and 26KB at best.

To add injury to insult (or vice versa) some idiot stock broker at Prudential Securities talked me into buying ATHM stock, so I got shafted on that, too.

I hope the judge takes pity on us 4.1 million users and holds this off.

And all this after Cox just raised my internet rate by $5 a month!!

16. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

The judge is letting them pull the plug.....a major loss for broadband, this puts us back atleast 3 years.

17. Dennis Reno

So long my HTF friends! It sounds like the bell tolls for we (who access the net via @home!) My HTF surfing is going to be limited to work hours which translates to "severely limited."
    BTW, if you thought the several week wait for Cox to have their system online was bad just be thankful you are not a Comcast customer. According to Comcast their system won't be available until the middle of NEXT YEAR!!! But in the meantime they will be offering us DIAL UP ACCESS! WHEEEEEEEEE... I don't even have a phone-modem installed in either computer at home!
    Hopefully the court in SF will prevent @home from shutting down, but I doubt it.

18. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

Kelley:

Where did you get your information that the judge had ruled on it? His ruling was due today, but I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Deane

19. Dennis Reno

20. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I thought for sure that high-speed service would not be interrupted. I could never imagine that the cable companies didn't have a backup provider. It's been known for MONTHS that Excite would most likely have to shut down their service, and all they could come up with was dial-up through NetZero??

I hope they work this out, because I was planning on getting it again.

/Mike