What's new

Excite@Home cable modem service could end on Friday! (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Cox Communications also struck a deal with Excite to keep service going for at least another 3 months (they pay them something like $160M for this). Probably the same deal that Comcast got. Good news, hopefully they have a plan now about what to do when these 3 months expire...

/Mike

ScottFauque

Agent
There certainly is a common problem with all of my friends on who have the new ATTBI service. It appears to be a DNS issue. I got around it by installing a local DNS cache shareware software that works EXCELLENT. This is has much more impact than this "fix"...many benefits.
http://www.extratools.com/extradns.htm
No doubt ATTBI is working on this DNS issue as we speak. HTH

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I'm back baby! :) You don't realize how much you miss something until it's gone. Now that it's back I'm good to go.
Jon

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
My modem lights have been solid since Wednesday, but I still cannot get on. I finally got through to support and they said the modem I had (RCA DCM235 on the back) is not compatible or something like that with their new system and they are working on it. What stinks is that I just got the modem replaced because I was having other problems.

Just thought I would share that bit in case others have the same modem and the same problems.

ScottFauque

Agent
That seems strange because it is listed on this ATTBI site:
Link Removed
Hopefully it is not yours so you can get it replaced or if it is yours that they will fix whatever the problem is.
It appears they are still working on the DNS timeout problems.

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
Now that I can post again I want to add to this thread. I am back up with SWB DSL which is great. My former ISP Charter@home is switching everyone over to Charter Pipeline. I haven't been able to send out anything bigger than a URL since. Check this out. I tried to call and cancel Charter today. The recorded message says that if you are having problems with your internet service to visit their website!!! I practically fell out of my chair laughing. The only line I could get a human on was the sales line. They picked that one up right away. They then transferred me to another department and then it just hung me up. So I went to their office cable modem in hand. There was a pretty good line of folks there with cable boxes and modems. It was almost comical. Everyone seemed so happy to be getting rid of cable. As soon as I get my dish put in I will be done with cable for good! If you can get DSL in your area I highly recommend it. My speeds are 135k up and 1.3 megs down. Pings are under 50 ms for most servers. Not too shabby. Anyway good luck to all of you still on the cable. It was really good before excite pulled the plug. Wes T.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The RCA 235 modem is apparently having problems with ATTBI. At least, that's what one of the support reps told me.

I've had DNS Problems which seemed to be more like an outage on the gateway machine/router (neither I nor the support guy could ping it).

I was up from Monday to Sunday, down from Sunday to Wednesday, then poof the service was back. I am keeping fingers crossed...I hate changing my email address.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks