What's new

Exasperated Samsung LED TV owner (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
My display was delivered yesterday morning and after close inspection I wasn't able to find any manufacturing defects. Once the display was connected I went through the set up menu and calibrated the picture using the settings in the link I provided above. Over all I'm pleased with the picture quality and the colors. The blacks are nowhere near what I'm used to on my Plasma but I knew they wouldn't be. Colors look pretty good, maybe a little muted compared to what I'm used to but I plan on tweaking my settings a little bit once I have more time to play around with them. So far I'm not experiencing any defects in the quality of the display. Only problem I'm having is getting the sound from the TV to play through my receiver but that's probably more of a problem with my receiver connections than the TV itself. Here's how everything is connected if in case anyone feels like helping....

DVD and TV connected to my Pioneer Elite SC67 via HDMI. HDMI out of the receiver to the display. Optical cable from the mini box to my receiver optical input. Not getting any sound out of my receiver from the TV when I select optical out on the display.

There are some things I absolutely love about this TV. It's very thin and looks great on my wall. The size is nice as well. Going from a 55" to a 65" was a nice upgrade. 4K movies look incredible (Netflix), as does sports. DirectV 1080P looks okay but not as good as I was expecting.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Call Samsung and get them involved and I bet you will see that your problem is addressed as I have had about two issues with computer monitors and they where taken care of promptly.

I own a Samsung UHD 55" TV and I love it, it has a great picture. Not the best picture to get across the picture quality but just to show the tv and the ht system it is in.

View attachment 23042
I have done so. I chatted with a Samsung rep on Friday about the way my TV was handled by the service center when they came to install the screen. They immediately elevated to what they state is the highest level that handles tenant satisfaction issues and product issues (ECR) Executive Customer Relations. They said I should hear within two business days so I'm waiting to hear from them. I watched "Spy" on Blu-ray last night and was the recipient of this. The pictures do exaggerate the problem somewhat. But I'm fairly certain it shouldn't look like this. I have my backlight on 8, brightness around 45, Smart LED on High, and Cinema Black on.

Attachments

• 20160131_231324.jpg
    20160131_231324.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160131_231334.jpg
    20160131_231334.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160131_231340.jpg
    20160131_231340.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 42

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
My display was delivered yesterday morning and after close inspection I wasn't able to find any manufacturing defects. Once the display was connected I went through the set up menu and calibrated the picture using the settings in the link I provided above. Over all I'm pleased with the picture quality and the colors. The blacks are nowhere near what I'm used to on my Plasma but I knew they wouldn't be. Colors look pretty good, maybe a little muted compared to what I'm used to but I plan on tweaking my settings a little bit once I have more time to play around with them. So far I'm not experiencing any defects in the quality of the display. Only problem I'm having is getting the sound from the TV to play through my receiver but that's probably more of a problem with my receiver connections than the TV itself. Here's how everything is connected if in case anyone feels like helping....

DVD and TV connected to my Pioneer Elite SC67 via HDMI. HDMI out of the receiver to the display. Optical cable from the mini box to my receiver optical input. Not getting any sound out of my receiver from the TV when I select optical out on the display.

There are some things I absolutely love about this TV. It's very thin and looks great on my wall. The size is nice as well. Going from a 55" to a 65" was a nice upgrade. 4K movies look incredible (Netflix), as does sports. DirectV 1080P looks okay but not as good as I was expecting.
I think in many ways, just as the jump from standard def to High Definition was wonderful in so many ways, it really exacerbated the problem when the picture or the feed was not very good that it was receiving. I think the same holds true in this jump. It's just doing nothing more then making something that is bad, look worse. But that's not the TV's fault.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Jeremy,

I meant to ask you earlier but forgot. How long is the cable that connects the mini box to the display? I hope that it's long enough to reach my component rack which is about 10 feet away.
I'm sorry.. I wasn't on here this weekend and just now saw this response. Looks like you have it now so you don't need an answer.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Here is a video. It's interesting that it almost seems to be altering the color of the picture. For example it's changing the color of the tile in the bathroom from a greenish to bluish along the edges. And you can particularly see it when the screen pans across the bathroom tile. And then the top left and right corners just glow a bluish color. Now the letterbox bars are staying decently black.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Jeremy,

Your display is most definitely defective! I'm not having any of the same experiences you are. In fact, just the opposite! Aside from the black levels not being as black as I'm use to and the limited viewing angles this TV looks superb. Colors are vibrant and accurate and the picture is bright and clear through all video sources. DVD/Blu-Ray/Directv all look very good. I've figured out the sound to my receiver through the digital audio out and it's nice to be able to watch Netflix and stream music directly from the display instead through my smart Blu-Ray player. I hope Samsung takes care of you and gets you a display that works as advertised. Once they do I think you'll enjoy this TV.

I have cinema black selected to off and the Back light set to 10 with brightness at 45. Warm2. I'm pretty happy with the calibration settings int he link I posted, just made a few tweaks to adjust for my room brighness.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
So it's been tax season, I'm an accountant and I've just been entirely too busy to deal with this TV issue until now. I was watching Amazing Spider-Man 2 on blu-ray on this TV and this is what it looks like. So I've re-opened a ticket through Samsung. I'm also trying to get my dealer involved. They aren't a big box store, but instead a smaller local retailer who I purchased some Paradigm speakers from in the past as well. There is some exaggeration in this video of the scenes that have a picture, though I suspect the camera is just picking up the blue and my eyes aren't. But in the dark scenes at the 35 second mark on the right hand side, the 48 second mark, and again the 1:09 mark you are seeing on the right hand side exactly what my naked eye is seeing, which is this light just flooding in from the right hand side. I have the backlight backed down to 9 or 10, brightness is down to 42, Smart LED is on high, and Cinema Black is on. This TV should not look like this. My 8 year old Toshiba CCFL backlit TV holds better black levels in most occasions.

[URL=http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n118/goksucats_2006/20160419_230528%201_1.mp4] [/URL]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks