What's new

Exasperated Samsung LED TV owner (1 Viewer)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
So I purchased this TV in mid-November for a pretty good value, but quickly became disenchanted. It's a Samsung 65 inch JS8500 SUHD. The first screen had this visible waves in the panel, and Samsung quickly agreed to replace the screen. However, last Friday when the service call was made, I was stunned to see the service technician pull the TV off the stand and lean it against my sofa with the bottom on the cushions, and the screen laid against the cushions and frame on the back of the sofa. I had always assumed any pressure applied to an LCD screen should be very light. But this was clearly applying more then that as the cushions which aren't that soft were squeezed on each side of the frame and pushed back several inches. And then no support on the top half of the frame at that angle, as they used their screwdrivers and applied pressure to remove the old screen, and then laid the new screen in the same position to tighten the screws back up. I figured with the old screen, maybe it was no big deal, but was surprised to see them do the same thing with the new screen. I didn't say anything, perhaps I should have since I was told earlier he had a dedicated table in his van to do this procedure on. I guess he wasn't interested in going to the trouble of getting it. He's the Samsung guy, but I did put in the back of my mind to log a complaint about it as I thought they were supposed to be laid flat on a surface with equal distribution of weight so as not to apply any untoward pressure anywhere on the screen or the frame. He hooks it back up, and.. this is what I see. First a visible bright spot coming through the edge of the new screen in the bottom left hand corner (I don't have that photo included). And I still see no visible difference with the naked eye between Smart LED being off.. and on standard or high which, my understanding is, activates local dimming on this TV. I know it's edge lit, I know it's LCD, I know the technology is limited. But I still expected better from one of Samsung's premium line of SUHD TV's. And then.. of course, there is the clouding which I could kind of cope with if the black levels seemed to improve or local dimming did anything at all. I know bias lighting helps, but this TV still seems defective. And I'm considering raising a ruckus about the service technicians procedure. I don't have a photo of the bright spot in the left hand corner, but if anybody else who has this TV or something similar could tell me if the local dimming looks defective on this TV or not, I'd appreciate any feedback. Or any feedback on the repair procedure.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20160125_201256.jpg
    20160125_201256.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 20160125_201317.jpg
    20160125_201317.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 167

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
I forgot I had an earlier thread on here about my first problem screen. I did purchased a 5 year extended service contract through my dealer (warranty is guaranteed by Warrantech)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Here is the pic

20160122_235756.jpg

of the bright spot shining through in the corner. I did send these images to the service center, and Samsung claims it's "in spec" But I haven't pressed it further with the dealer, or Samsung yet. As I said.. it's a combination of things that just has led to a poor experience with this TV. I could cope with this bright spot.. or even the clouding. But the combination of those two, along with the dismal black levels and no seeming performance increase from local dimming being activated is frustrating.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
JeremyR said:
Here is the pic

attachicon.gif
20160122_235756.jpg

of the bright spot shining through in the corner. I did send these images to the service center, and Samsung claims it's "in spec" But I haven't pressed it further with the dealer, or Samsung yet. As I said.. it's a combination of things that just has led to a poor experience with this TV. I could cope with this bright spot.. or even the clouding. But the combination of those two, along with the dismal black levels and no seeming performance increase from local dimming being activated is frustrating.
I have been on the phone with them for over 2hrs. first they tried to say my warranty had expired. Then they said my tv would only display 4k when I had a 4k source I told him not so. Anyway after he tried to fix it online I asked for a repair person to be sent he said no ,thier was nothing wrong with it !

Everett S.

Real Name
Everett
Everett Stallings said:
I have been on the phone with them for over 2hrs. first they tried to say my warranty had expired. Then they said my tv would only display 4k when I had a 4k source I told him not so. Anyway after he tried to fix it online I asked for a repair person to be sent he said no ,thier was nothing wrong with it !
Any help with dealing with Samsung please..

Everett S.

Real Name
Everett
JeremyR said:
Here is the pic

attachicon.gif
20160122_235756.jpg

Tip don't complain about the tech and don't let them leave til you are satisfied.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Everett Stallings said:
Tip don't complain about the tech and don't let them leave til you are satisfied.
You are probably correct. He is the one in town that does the big televisions I'm told, the only one. I still think his practice was flawed. I have not actually dealt officially with Samsung yet regarding my problems. I went to my dealer and they referred me to the service guy. Perhaps you could attempt to go through a local authorized service center who can communicate with Samsung on your behalf?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Edge-lit LCD typical picture is what I see.

Which is the reason there are always tons of "open box" at Best Buy from every brand.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
greggor said:
Damn shame that Plasma lost to an inferior design.
That's really the public's fault more the anything. If the public would have had a clue, combined with Best Buy's goons pushing the wrong technology, then this would have never happened.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
schan1269 said:
Edge-lit LCD typical picture is what I see.

Which is the reason there are always tons of "open box" at Best Buy from every brand.
That very well might be. I guess I was really just expecting to see some measurable visible difference with Smart LED activated versus off on an upper - end set from one of the top manufacturers.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
JeremyR said:
That's really the public's fault more the anything. If the public would have had a clue, combined with Best Buy's goons pushing the wrong technology, then this would have never happened.
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." H. L. Mencken

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
JeremyR said:

I agree. Joe sixpack was told that LCD/LED was the way to go and they fell for it. Now we're stuck with limited viewing angles and issues like you're experiencing. We can also blame many of the professional reviewers who way overplayed things like screen burn in and lack of brightness if watching in a bright room. I stayed with Plasma as long as I could because I knew this day was coming, it just came sooner than i was hoping with my Plasma failing on me. Good luck with your Samsung. As soon as I get mine I know what I'll be looking for.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
greggor said:
I agree. Joe sixpack was told that LCD/LED was the way to go and they fell for it. Now we're stuck with limited viewing angles and issues like you're experiencing. We can also blame many of the professional reviewers who way overplayed things like screen burn in and lack of brightness if watching in a bright room. I stayed with Plasma as long as I could because I knew this day was coming, it just came sooner than i was hoping with my Plasma failing on me. Good luck with your Samsung. As soon as I get mine I know what I'll be looking for.
Watch for this stuff too. This is what my first screen looked like that they had to replace with the second one .

e2e823cd-7902-4192-8af8-36573949c804.jpg

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Jeremy this is the resource I used which helped me to decide to buy this TV over others I looked at.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js8500

I went to Best Buy today and spent quite a bit of time with an associate going through the different menu's on this TV and I have to tell you that the TV they had on display didn't have any of the defects yours has. I would say you have a defective unit and would request a replacement.

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
greggor said:
Here's a link to the calibration settings for the JS8500

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js8500/settings
I actually really didn't like rtings settings. I'm using these settings and am "happier" with them. Such as it is. Incidentally, in this thread you're going to see lots of other people having problems with this same TV. But others are perfectly happy. Expectations I suppose... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1970346-official-2015-samsung-4k-suhd-js8500-series-tv-thread-301.html#post39373410

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
JeremyR said:
I actually really didn't like rtings settings. I'm using these settings and am "happier" with them. Such as it is. Incidentally, in this thread you're going to see lots of other people having problems with this same TV. But others are perfectly happy. Expectations I suppose... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1970346-official-2015-samsung-4k-suhd-js8500-series-tv-thread-301.html#post39373410
I'll try both settings and see which works best for me. Thanks for the link!

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Jeremy,

I meant to ask you earlier but forgot. How long is the cable that connects the mini box to the display? I hope that it's long enough to reach my component rack which is about 10 feet away.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Call Samsung and get them involved and I bet you will see that your problem is addressed as I have had about two issues with computer monitors and they where taken care of promptly.

I own a Samsung UHD 55" TV and I love it, it has a great picture. Not the best picture to get across the picture quality but just to show the tv and the ht system it is in.

View attachment 23042

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks