Everyone! Turn on "Malcolm In The Middle" Right Now!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Feb 10, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The fat nerdy guy who works at the drug store with Malcolm's Mom has just drafted Malcolm into hooking up the "greatest Home Theater system in the world" at fat nerdy guy's house.
    My comment to my wife? "Ask RAF!" [​IMG]
    I realize that this thread subject is short-lived. Please delete or close thread in about 20 minutes.
    Sorry for the distraction, [​IMG]

2. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Well, he spoke of having 5.1 surround and progressive scan, but then the big screen he had looked like the type you can pick up for a grand at Sam's.

3. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

My post on that over at AVS forum.

4. David Lambert

Ahhh, it coulda been lots better. [​IMG]

5. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

It was just a mixing of buzz words into a pot. Phrases like, "It can do SRS 5.1 and DTS." Also, did the big screen switch from 4:3 to 16:9 during the show? I coulda swore when it showed Reese on the TV that it was Widescreen.

6. David Lambert

I certainly did not notice any AR switch! But then maybe I was typing in an HTF reply at the time...

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

He is what I imagine some folks here are like IRL. [​IMG]

8. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Yep I heard the SRS 5.1 too. What is that? [​IMG]

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

No clue what SRS 5.1 means either. And yes, the set's aspect ratio did appear to change mid-episode. I also heard Malcom say 480p, but it was in reference to speaker impedence...so, you got me.

10. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

11. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Me too...

Must be some sorta new squeeze trick, hehe.

12. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

How did the ep end? I set the tape to record the Simpsons, as I was watching something on TLC, and heard it stop midway through Malcom. I forgot about it, thanks to the TLC program, and when I went back to watch it, first thought was, "Oh, Crap!"...
    It cut off right where his brother was entering the drivers ed course with the cops following him....
    BTW, also thought of this forum as soon as I saw the Home Theater setup...wonder if the guy died after falling onto the poor cat [​IMG]...?

13. David Lambert

It ended with the brother pulling over and getting arrested after parallel parking at the end of the driver's course, and then the final scene was that all the family was getting into nice clothes to go to the hearing. Dad was talking about how they'd just gone to visit fat nerdy guy in the hospital and he wasn't doing badly, but it was hard to talk to him by way of fat nerdy guy could only blink once for "Yes" and twice for "No". Mom told him that he had it backwards; it was once for "no" and twice for "yes", and she walked off with the boys. Dad stared past the camera, thinking, and then said "Oh. So the soup really WAS too hot!", then walked off himself.
    Fade to credits. [​IMG]

14. bob_b

bob_b Auditioning

Did anyone else see that as a reference to the first star trek episode? Remember when the 1st captain was in that wheel-chair-iron-lung-thingie [​IMG]

15. David Lambert

While I see where you're going with that, I'll point out a couple things:

1) The show you refer to wasn't actually the "first Star Trek show". It was a show partway through the first season that was BASED on the events of the first PILOT, and it wasn't the pilot but rather the later (2-part) show that had Captain Christopher Pike in the "wheelchair".

2) That show itself, "The Menagerie", used the "Blink once for Yes, twice for No" method as an adoption of existing-at-the-time (1966) communication procedures with paralyzed patients. So the MitM show's use of that as a joke wasn't going to be based on the Star Trek show; it's just decades old medical procedure.

So, no, I didn't think of it as a Star Trek tie-in, myself. But that's speaking strictly for myself.

16. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I just got done watching my tape of the show and I think I know the SRS reference.

Hughes created this Holographic Audio system (SRS)that was supposed to open up the audio experience using psycho-audio dynamics or something like that. Needless to say..the system is for all intents and purposes off the radar. I actually have a processor here.

17. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

simulated surround.

SRS is the logo you see on all the wanna be surround units nowadays. ie. Sony TVs etc.

nothing major.