What's new

Everwood season 4 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Well, that certainly didn't help.

So is the finale not until Memorial Day, after sweeps is over?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

well, 7th has been on since 1996 and they already did a final episode. After a decade, it's time to go. Friends was NBC's highest rated show and they finally decided to end when they knew the time was right.

I know networks don't have the smarts to think up something like this, but if I owned CW, I would try this.

Have Everwood and One Tree Hill share the same timeslot and let them alternate every other week, so a new episode every two weeks for the entirity of the season, this way both fans would be happy and both shows would stay.

I think same should go for some of the sitcoms.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Good episode tonight. Loved the stuff between Andy and his father, loved the scene between Delia and her grandfather, and loved the instinctual way that Ephram cares for Amy even as he pursues someone else.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
At the end, after two false alarms for killing off an Abbott, with the sunny day and the birds chirping, I thought Irv was going to take the breakfast and find Edna. Instead....

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had heard about Irv being the one to kick the bucket a month ago, but forgot about it until they showed him preparing breakfast (and after getting his wish from Edna to do some traveling since Jake was closing up shop). The writers were working overtime to keep up the "who gonna die" suspense with Rose and Bright's subplots. Ephram making time with the other girl in front of Amy just seemed a bit crass, but he came back to earth quickly to address Amy's emotional needs after Bright's balancing act came to a crashing conclusion.

The moments between Andy and his dad were tough to digest in the beginning, but as the onion-like layers of their previous relationship were peeled away, it did give Andy's character some more grit for what had happened in his past. It was neat to see Delia, a virtual stranger to Andy's father, shed light on Andy for him.

I didn't really care much for the Jake-Nina subplot. Just go already, stop making the goo-goo eyes at each other, Nina and Andy.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder that 3rd to last Everwood airs tonight, and then a 2-hour series finale will air next Monday. Besides The Apprentice, it's the only new scripted show on TV tonight. :)

In the last episode, it didn't look good for Irv...

Brenda M

Stunt Coordinator
What a good show. I feel terrible that this has been cancelled and 7th Heaven picked up. They used everyone in this episode and kept the spirit of what happens when someone dies, you think back on your life and thiers.

Just a side thought, I have seen Charles Durning a few times lately after not seeing him at all for years. Anyone else notice this.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well... it was okay, showing how Irv affected the lives of the men of Everwood was good, but not great, though I did like the final scene with Andy and his own father to tie up that loose end. I did like the Amy and Ephram scene.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Nobody writes these characters better. When the episode ended, I was trembling. I haven't gotten just that feeling since the end of season two. There have been great episodes since, but different, in a different show. This episode was like a bridge between the show. The current scenes were Season 3 and 4 Everwood. The flashback scenes, even the ones chronologically after season two, felt like seasons one and two. More like one really, richer. Greg isn't afraid to be emotional. He isn't afraid to let his characters say exactly what they feel, and let the words stand without sweeping music or overacting. Considering the special bond between Delia and Irv, I was hoping for a scene about them. But then again, we saw their story. Irv was always in the background, for a long time our eyes and ears, removed and poetic. This episode brought him into the picture. The flashback to Irv and Edna's wedding was classic Season One Harold. The flashback to Harold and Bright was classic Bright, honest and lovable and sociable and thoughtful and self critical. The flashback to the broken glass distilled all of Ephram and Amy's season two storylines only smarter, without the melodrama. And the flashback to Ephram and Andy in the doctor's office showed just how much they've changed.

"Because the guy who is lucky enough to be with you, he won't walk away too easily."
"Why would you think that?"
"Because. He gets to be with you."

THAT is Ephram/Amy. He knows these characters, he knows their love. Or maybe they do, Rina and him. I know it's beautiful, though, and I konw it's true.

And the way they reflected that scene back, with Ephram in Amy's role in the apartment, distilled that scene into season four rhythms and sensibilities. Whoever Ephram ends up with at the end of next episode, this scene is the true resolution of Ephram/Amy. Even if we don't get to see it, I take comfort in knowing that it's destined to be.

Even the last scene between Andy and his father, which looks and feels like Season 4, wraps up with a moment of such direct emotion that I think it had to have crafted by Berlanti. "I love you, Dad." Way to go for it, Everwood!

Debra Mooney's final scene was so exposed and so raw, so perfect.

A beautiful episode. A treasure, that I'm glad we got before we lose it all.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Whatever you do, try to avoid any of the WB's commercials for the upcoming series finale for Everwood, they are giving too much away. I cringe everytime they spoil more stuff in the finale. Grrr...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was this really Hannah's senior year? I thought she was just a sophomore last year?

Ahhhhh....dammit, Andy at the grave site got me, and we still got 25 minutes to go.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, they pretty much gave us fans the ending we have waited to see for these 4 seasons, and it was rather satisfying, enough to bring out some tears for the hint of a prosperous future for these characters. Especially touching was Bright finally gaining enough maturity to understand that true love for another is putting their happiness in front of your own happiness. It was nice to see the relationship's foundation (Andy/Nina, Bright/Hannah, Ephram/Amy) rooted in love and understanding for one another, and becoming a long-lasting support system for one another.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Everybody ended up where they were supposed to. Plotlines dating back to the beginning of season one were resolved. Andy/Nina, Andy/Julia, Andy/Delia, Andy/Ephram, Harold/Edna, and MOST OF ALL Ephram/Amy got the resolutions they deserved.
It would have been fashionable for a bittersweet ending. But it's not that kind of show. I'm still furious about the cancellation, but atleast we got a 2-hour finale that capped things right.

A graceful, spirit-lifting, tear-jerking, dignified, and classic resolution. Rina, Greg, and Co. wrapped things up right.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I haven't seen the last few weeks of the show but I do have them recorded on my PC. I'll have to burn the episodes to DVD-R and watch them in the coming weeks.

Anyway, I don't seen this mentioned so I thought I'd share:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cw_everwood.jpg

Looks like The CW originally intended to keep Everwood on the air but changed their minds. What a shame.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Did I blink and miss Madison? The promos for the series finale included a shot of Sarah Lancaster, which led me to believe Madison was going to make an appearance, but I didn't see her in the 2 hours (but I confess to cooking during some of the first hour).

John Mansor

Stunt Coordinator
The ending of the show didn't seem real to me until they had "Series Finale" at the bottom of the screen. What a loss of a great show.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
She was in the other ending, if the series had been picked up for a sixth season. It would have closed out with Madison and Ephram instead of Amy and Ephram.

That and the CW webpage leads me to believe it was a decision that literally was down to the wire.

Ratings were up 10% for the finale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks