Everwood season 4 ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Everwood is back tonight, it's moved to its new timeslot, 9 p.m. EDT on the WB (Why, WB, why?)

Ephram went to Europe to find himself after giving up on his audition for Julliards. Nina is in a pickle now that Andy has opened up to her, and Jake is still in the picture. Rose's condition has Amy staying put in Everwood for now.

2. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

thursday at 9:00 is hell this year. a choice between Everwood, CSI, and Reunion.

sadly, i'm gonna have to watch Everwood, tape Reunion, and catch up with CSI on reruns.

can Tivo, or hard disc recorders record more than one program in the same time slot?

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

If you have a dual-tuner DVR, yes, you can.

Hey now, Irv's narration has returned!

So far, don't know how ugly this Jake-Nina-Andy triangle is going to end up, but I suspect it'll be really ugly.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I like Amy's new cut, frames her face nicely. Now, Hannah's braid were scary as hell (but funny too). Hannah's blossomed quite nicely taking into account how shy she was last season.

Bright delighted in delivering the news to Amy about his new roommate, who's gay, and Amy has the potential to become a beard for the guy.

Jake hits a home run with the diner name, and Nina cuts Andy loose. And just in time, Ephram shows up to shore up what could be a strange 3-way crush triangle.

5. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

Well, it was decided in our 1-tuner DVR household that Everwood gets the time slot. And it did not dissapoint.

Last things first. I don't think the episode ended with Ephram showing up at the wedding. In my head it ended up with Edna bitching Ephram out for stealing the thunder from her wedding!! LOL!

I think I pay more attention to an episode of Everwood than any other show I watch. Character driven is one thing, successfully character driven is yet another.

I found nothing to pick apart, and I rarely do. Really like this show.

Ivan

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Much stronger start to this season than most of last season's awful-ness. They've atleast rediscovered some of the quirk. When the episode started with Irv talking over scenery, my heart leapt that the narration was back. This was second best though.
    I still can't stand Hannah, but everything else was surprisingly good. The humor's back, and the look between Ephram and Andy alone held more heart than most show's feature in an entire hour. The characters were treated with respect again. I hope it bodes well for things to come.

7. David Rosen

David Rosen Agent

I thought that the scariest part of the episode was Delia's bangs. I miss the days of her wearing baseball caps and actually having a purpose on the series.

I did love the return of Irv's narration, even if it was only for a sentence. It gave me chills in remembering the great esteem that I once held for this show. Too bad that the producers seem to hate the narration, because it really sets the tone for the show.

It did have some cute moments and flashes of the old humor, so I am going to stick with it and hope for the best.

8. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

Seeing if I can get this thread started again....

Not sure if I like the Bright-Hannah relationship. Originally it was cute but now it is hard to watch. I also think that Jake was out of character to confront Andy the way he did. I must admit that the Ephram-Amy relationship attracted me to the show so hopefully they can get back to being friends at least.

9. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I'll contribute, John.

I know that not everyone changes when they backpack across Europe, but it's kind of a stereotype, isn't it? And Ephram doesn't seem to have changed all that much to me.

Who knew Bright could rap? Or at least get a crowd going. His character's name is apropo. He's really good at doing what makes him happy, and he is good at lighting up a room with his personality.

Cheescake. Har har. If you didn't appreciate that setup you haven't been married with children long enough.

Andy's patient with the anti-depressants was a pretty glaringly obvious plot device, but I'll forgive it.

I never saw Jake as passive-agressive, I just saw him as wanting to please everyone and a very political person in his relationships, typical (stereotypical, I suppose since I don't have first hand experience) L.A. personality. So his little tirade on Andy didn't seem out of character to me.

I really wish Ephram had grown enough while he was gone to be able to make some decisions on his own. Yeah, he moved in with Bright, but that decision was a natural extension of the circumstances. Now we get to see the Amyphram relationship start again, with Amy knowing what she wants and Ephram hemming and hawing his way through the conversations.

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The Nina-Andy scenes are getting cringe-worthy. They'll probably drag out Nina and Jake's potential break-up for the whole season. Of course, Andy is not the wronged man in triangle, so can't really give Andy all that much backup for his feelings for Nina. Timing can be a real bitch.

I want to see Amy with other new guys, college should be a time to try out new things, new relationships, etc. Ephram is going to be Ephram, but hopefully he'll get a better appreciation of what Andy tried to provide for him, but tough love is the way to go for Ephram.

Can't blame Harold for subconsciously not wanting to engage in cheesecake given Rose's condition, I hope they can work through in time.

Hannah is in way over her head when it comes to Bright. Eventually he'll grow up, or she'll move away from him emotionally.

11. Adam Lenhardt

Ephram needs a fucking father, for once. Instead of trying to save his son's life, he should take the time for more little things like inviting him over for dinner a couple episodes. Likewise, I really liked the porch scene because it was the kind of moment that made me grow to love Andy over the course of season one. Of course they had a lot more impact before we didn't have a season and a half of moral recklessness to trash his integrity.

12. Adam Lenhardt

10/20/2005

Tonight's episode was the first episode in a long time to move me to tears. It came when Bright told Rose that she was still his mom. This season has been really, really good. Tonight's episode was great. The moment at the end with Rose and Harold on the phone was also great; Edna grabbing the phone and making the campaign phone call was another power house. There were alot of little moments that were wonderful as well. Delia and Bright at the job fair; Ephram and Amy in the diner; Andy and Delia on the bed. Hopefully this bodes well for the rest of the season. It's certainly off to a damn good start.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought it was great that Hannah handed Jake his ass back to him.

Having Ephram have to deal with an even bigger prima donna than himself was funny. Even if the PD can't pay him is just icing on the cake.

The "creating of" and "retaining of" memories is a very human trait that was touched upon with Andy's case, as was how much our memories mean to our identities, our self-worth, our past which guides us for the future.

14. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

Funny, I didn't think he was asking all that much. Just let them know if she wasn't going to be around for dinner. If anything, it was more for Nina then himself. Well we all know that storyline will have more fireworks this year.

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

10/27/05

A Tom Amandes directed episode, and I thought it captured the classic Everwood qualities and provided some insight to some personal growth, especially w/r/t Ephram who is still got Amy in his head, but too bad she's pretty much moving on with Reid, and that horizon is looking much brighter for her for now. Seeing Andy and Ephram actually talk to one another without any animosity was a step in the right direction for their relationship.

Jake has turned into the Tazmanian Devil of plastic surgery, perhaps he's feeling the heat of financial burdens. Having Edna finally coming around and getting herself up to speed with the new medical technologies plays with the notion that you can teach an old dog new tricks after all. [​IMG]

Is Bright really okay with the situation with Hannah's stance of no pre-marital hanky-panky? For now, even after semingly making up his mind, Hannah's other intangibles won him over, for one night, at least.

16. Adam Lenhardt

More than just that, finding a level of comfort — and a minimal level of trust. A father boozing it up with his son is so adverse to what Season One Ephram/Andy would have been about. But they can't go back there again; the show can't go back there. And so the scene captured that lightning in a different bottle. The air's starting to clear a bit. When Andy would learn something about Ephram last year, I'd dread it as another secret and another level of deceit. When Andy heard about Amy's kiss this episode, I never really had a doubt that he'd fill Ephram in — no matter how hard it will be on him.
    Some great Andy/Harold moments tonight. Amandes directed one of my favorite episodes of last year's debacle and he brought those qualities to a much better script this time around. That shot with Ephram and Bright on the rock staring out into the Rockies was simply breathtaking.
    Amy is the prettiest when she's dressed down; definitely the type of chick that doesn't benefit from excessive amounts of make-up.
    Perhaps the greatest achievement of the episode was to get me actually rooting for Bright/Hannah.
    Absolutely loved the Edna subplot. Even when they do bring in Edna and Irv it's rarely in a storyline so accurately targeted at the stage of life they're in. Her arc in this episode, and the fact that growth didn't mean compromising her stance, was pitch perfect.
    My favorite moment in the episode was Delia and Andy though. "This family needs so much help" just about says it all.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

11/3/05

Some reflective bits come out of the mediation between Andy and Jake, probably more than Nina had anticipated, but probably won't find out for now.

Amy being flustered by Reid was funny in spots, and *gasp* they even talked about keeping it casual, and contrasting that with high school relationships. But still, with Ephram lurking around, the 3-way love triangle should emerge soon enough.

Harold and Rose's subplot was well-meaning, but not as interesting. At least they covered Rose's anxiety and its manifestion in her making plans on a "farewell" tour of the world, so to speak.

Ephram's stepping outside of himself and seems to want to help his protege reach his Julliard dream, Ephram had a great self-realization that he was becoming his own dad.

18. Adam Lenhardt

I really liked him reaching out to a economic class that he hadn't had much experience with; you could see his perspective change over the course of the storyline. Him being terrified by the mountain bike trail was classic Ephram, to boot[​IMG]

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

11/10/05

It's sort of interesting to see bits of passive-aggressive Ephram come out (due to Reed-inspired jealousy), but then he is more open with re-connecting with Andy, and becoming less selfish and more self-less.

I teared up a bit when Hannah's mom was conveying heartwrenching emotions from giving Hannah the choice to go to Colorado or stay to take care of her father with her mother, and Hannah was just so torn because it was a no-win situation for Hannah. Bright was comforting and presented a good case for some good that came from Hannah's choice to not be an additional burden for her mom during her father's illness.

Thankfully Amy didn't have to wear her white t-shirt uniform in this episode.

Good stuff.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

11/17/05

Jake and Clifton have the worse buddy-buddy vacation ever.

Hannah making Harold take note of his predictability, Harold starts living on the wild side, starting with the worse display of shoplifting every displayed on TV.

So HannahBear is getting to stick around Everwood wasn't that big a surprise. Bright did come through with that smooth play with giving Hannah an Everwood prom date.

Ephram is now Amy's wingman, how pathetic is that?