What's new

Everwood season 4 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's a sign of this unique point in television history. If it were any other year, "Everwood" would be back, no question. And unfortunately, it doesn't have the critical adoration of lower-rated "Veronica Mars"

Don Black

Screenwriter
Well, I like Veronica Mars too and since I'm sure Veronica's audience skewers younger, I'd understand that decision.

But if Everwood goes and Supernatural, Pepper Dennis, Reba, WILAY, etc. stays, that would be ridiculous.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Across the Lines"

Rose getting high on Mary-J and getting hit on back her 'bud' was silly.

Hannah getting to let loose at dinner was amusing.

Wasn't too interested in Jake's NA subplot.

Reid's on the road to cheatdom.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
This latest arc could be considered the ressurrection of Andy Brown and Harold Abbott. Whatever you might think of the Bright/Hannah business, both doctors have been treated with the proper respect that their characters deserve again in recent episodes. Monday's episode was a perfect example. Harold's decisions weren't perfect, but they were believable for his character. He wasn't completely right, but he was on the right track. And while his aboption paper disclosure still lingers as a fault, his support of Rose in general was wonderful. He's again being treated with the level of complexity he was given in season one.
Meanwhile, Andy has been showing real growth, finally. Siding with Jake over Nina because that's how he felt, turning the guy into the cops because it was a necessary step, these aren't things that maverick Andy would have done. He's readjusted his priorities enough so that even when he does make mistakes, he's still getting enough right that we care again. Thank God were out of the Anne Heche neck of the woods. The last shot of him standing by his desk made me realize that I am invested and care about his character again. These last few episodes, even with the Hannah blemishes, have probably been the best since "Extra Ordinary."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, gotta give Bright some props for giving into his baser instincts (I'd hit it, too), though the guilt appears to be ulcer-inducing, soon enough. He's going to devastate Hannah one of these days when all that guilt just comes rushing out of him.

Ephram continues his maturation, impressing his father in the process. Getting to see both sides of being a concert pianist vs. being a cultivator of burgeoning pianists helps Ephram decide what he wants in life, plus it allows him to stay around should the show return next fall.

There's a sliver of hope for an eventual Andy-Nina situation if Nina can just boot Jake to the curb and let him find his own bliss in supporting the recovery of other addicts.

Weird, I didn't miss Amy all that much, nor Harold/Rose.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because for once, the storylines they replaced them with merited the time.

The only thing I didn't like was Ephram thanking Madison on the phone call. Yes, he probably was too hard on her, considering how badly Andy fucked with her head. But she still gave up his baby without telling them. For me, that would be an unforgivable act.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Truth"

Didn't much care for the Irv and his daughter subplot, but finding out he was a bad father does diminish his stature somewhat.

Harold and Rose got so close to the brass ring, but then Rose lets her medical history slip, and the odds for adoption just got a whole lot smaller for them.

I wasn't all that keen on the moral highground that Amy was perched on after Ephram lets the cat out of the bag w/r/t Bright's indiscretion. It seems too fast for everything to come out in the open. Poor idealistic Hannah, this will definitely provide for some heartache of impending adulthood for her.

Reid seems to be headed down a dark path after getting expelled for cheating (dude, if you're going to cheat, don't set the curve!)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was a good moment for her character to be vulnerable. And it was a great moment for Bright to be as wonderfully human as he is. It's all the more heartbreaking because we know that he, unlike most of his mold, WON'T cheat.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I can't believe they cancelled this show over "One Tree Hill"! While I like them both, and am certainly happy "Veronica Mars" will be back, to cancel "Everwood" with "Supernatural" getting a pickup is disappointing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually what really hurt was them bringing back 7th Heaven after already giving them a series finale countdown these past 5-6 months.

At least they gave Reid a decent send-off.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention that in addition to OTH be a far inferior show, the ratings have actually been much lower than "Everwood"'s!
But then again, having seen the CW's new logo (think OC) it's probably best that this wonderful show doesn't go down with the crack head's ship.

Beau

Supporting Actor
Anyone think it could be picked up by another network? I can't imagine Everwood not continuing.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

what's wrong with Supernatural? I agree that OTH is an inferior show to Everwood, but I still like it and will watch next season and hope ratings improve, but if you read Supernatural threads, you'd see that was THE make-or-break show about people watching CW, if they cancelled that, I would've boycotted the whole network.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
IMO, if you're gonna take it out on a show, take it out on 7th Heaven. That junk has been on for a decade and they already shot a series finale... it;s time for that to go.

One Tree Hill at least could have two good years left in it, and Supernatural, well... it's the only current WB show I think that has potential to still be on in five years (considering Gilmore Girls is ending next season and Smallville is entering season 6, it won't last forever). Why should they kill Supernatural instead of the "already-should've-died" 7th Heaven? 7th Heaven is the culprit for why CW axed Everwood.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The main reason Everwood was axed was because Berlanti had a falling out with the WB, and he bolted over to Touchstone, so the CW is pretty much cleaning out all things Berlanti.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
so technically One Tree Hill getting renewed was a fluke then, right? I was shocked when they cancelled Everwood yet kept OTH, since Everwood's always performed more solidly

Don Black

Screenwriter

No offense to the "Supernatural" fans... I just found that show to be terribly boring and couldn't continue after two episodes.

I agree that the renewal of "7th Heaven" is the primary culprit (and certainly the producer/network fallout that Patrick mentioned didn't help). Grrrr...

Any word on Season 2-4 DVD releases for Everwood?

Patrick: Was the fallout over the treatment of "Jack and Bobby"? Because I thought The WB gave that show a fair shot.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think Berlanti had the fallout on a show that Berlanti wanted to get on the WB, but they passed on it, and things weren't the same again after that. I don't know what the other show was, but I'm sure we'll see some form of it from a Berlanti-led production soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks